Showjumping report from down under...

Lyle

Visit site
Well, this report is just a little late as the competition was actually last weekend, my apologies! I've found myself up on this beautiful Sunday morning, hoping that the forecast rain will eventually come this year and thought I might have a little type.

I had entered the Cruzy boy into the little classes (50cm, 60cm and 75cm) at what turned out to be a rather large 'local' show, only to realise 2 days before that the rings were starting at 8, it's a round trip of an hour to collect the horse from agistment, and another hour to get to the venue, turning a relatively easy trip into something arduous! Errggg cue frantic organising to enable Cruzy to have a sleep over at my place the night before :cool:

I had a lesson with my coach on the friday, which was excellent as we introduced him to some dazzle boards and he was fine, so I was feeling very pleased. I settled him in to his new room for the night, which he seemed to approve of, and gave instructions to my wonderful boy friend to be up at quarter to 6. There was a bit of moaning about who was going to cook breakfast, I told him that the toaster does a fabulous job.

Of course I sprang out of bed early with excitement, ran outside to feed up the horses and came back in to scoff a piece of bread and a glass of juice. Managed to hurry OH in some sort of action and we were loaded and away pretty much at take-off time!

Unfortunately my truck, affectionately known as 'Lurchy' doesn't enjoy hilly trips (or any trip where it has a horse on board) and we trundled our way up the mountains and into the beautiful Yarra Valley, greeted by hot-air balloons against a rising sun.
Eventually we lurched and puffed our way into the venue about 20 minutes late and took a spot right by the rings :D Unloaded my obliging equine and tied him up before bolting over to the ring to run around the course, then flying back to tack him up. He was pretty relaxed, and warmed up well. He jumped his first ever showjump round, and it felt like it! Quite green and wobbly :p but jumped clear with just a run out at a relatively simple fence :rolleyes: , I was so pleased.

By this time the sun was burning holes in our backs so we sought shelter in the truck until the next round. He jumped much more confidently this time, managing to produce a clear which meant I could proceed into the jump off phase! :D

Again waited in the shade for the other 60 competitors to go and then got ready for the 75cm. Cruzy felt a little flat and tired warming up, which didn't fill either of us with confidence. Se in we went and he jumped nicely until we came to one particular jump that he didn't like the look of at all! So we got the big E, slunk out and vowed to do better the next day!

We came back the next day and whilst the weather had cooled down, it was WINDY!! Cruzy didn't turn a hair to the horses running rampant, having escaped from being tied so big pats for him. He warmed up beautifully and again jumped a super round in the 50cm, and managed a place! I was very happy obviously! The 60cm was a really lovely round, and I opened him up a little in the jump off phase and again he got a place! I felt this was a good effort, considering there was over 60 competitors in the classes. So I fronted up for the 75cm, and this was the round of the day! He jumped lovely, very confidently and seemed to have it all together by this stage:D He had one rail down but pffft to that!

I know these are only little classes, but I'm so pleased with how he handled the atmosphere as he can be a little hot and sensitive at times! So now we are looking forward to his next competition in about 3 weeks time! Can't wait!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

mik

Visit site
Well Lyle, they may be little classes but what a super pop he has, second photo is excellent! He really tucks up his knees.
I love your report and to hear how he is learning his job and, very clearly enjoying it. Well done.
What are your plans for him?

Lyle

Visit site
Thanks Mik, he had a massive learning curve for the weekend, I'm obviously very happy with how he picked it all up. My plans? Well, I'm being a bit dithery, I'm supposed to be eventing him, OH wants me to showjump, I like showing too, and dressage... so I'm going to do a bit of everything! I've toned down the full time eventing since I've been at Uni, sold a few horses and bought Cruzy, and I'm so lucky that he can be left for a few days (cough, a week...) and be fine to start working again. I really like him as he is so genuine, so I don't want to rush his introduction to XC as I think he could be a very talented eventer as his dressage is very honest, and he has the potential for a nice jump technique. So this semester at least, will be mostly SJ and dressage/hacking to establish these basics then hit the XC schooling over winter. Hopefully I have a more forgiving timetable next semester and I can get away to the eventing competitions in the spring! But I don't have a plan, because we all know what happens when plans and horses are combined :rolleyes::p