Showjumping Report, Overdue Abbie Update and Trailer Test Qu.

Javabb94

Visit site
So bit of a long report today!

Was looking through my photos and found a comp I hadn't reported on with J.
Have a question about height of jump in picture also!

So usual story with him, we entered 80,90,1m
And he was a little star! He seems to have really turned a corner this year, he is normally either brilliant or awful but I feel like I am seeing less of the awful and more of the brilliant!

I am having a XC clinic on Monday, I hope to event him but he will be 16 next year although extremely low mileage so would like to do a few Be80's/unaff ODE's.

So back to be jumping, 80 didn't have many entries so results of horses and ponies were combined. Java did a fast DC but cannot match the super turns of a 12.2hh (well done to pony rider she did a great round) we came 2nd.

90cm he had 4 faults in jump off and was 1st as no other clears. Where the trailers leave go right past full length of arena and a trailer came down right as I was jumping a line down the side and he spotted it and just backed off a wee bit and caught the planks behind!

Next was the 1m - it was the biggest 1m I have ever jumped so was a bit nervous, but my horse is such a superstar and even when I managed to bury him into the fences at some points, he jumped the most fantastic DC, so so proud of how far he has come to when I first bought him! Another 1st :)

Pics -
ad3f5f888d88de32fd72ca8589e5a265_zps8057a83c.jpg

3f4e098fa1d4742127adce777097a48b_zpsd730ecd7.jpg

d1269145d2b24507d8235269b89e9608_zps6ddb5e46.jpg

This is the fence I was worried about! As you can see I nearly got pinged off! Pic above is from 1st round below is from jump off
It just felt and looked so much bigger than 1m!

5e2c25f9a2cb359f8318619955e3ce13_zps2dfc8e55.jpg

So onto trailer test question. What is involved in the trailer test? I am planning on saving up to take my test. I have only driven it on the road once (yesterday!) on L plates with my dad teaching me and it was better than I thought but just getting used to a big wide box behind me will take some getting used to! I did two reverse manouveres yesterday but are there specific manouveres you can get in the test?

Now onto Abbie. Abbie is having some x rays on Monday. I don't want to say too much such about symptoms/where x rayed as bit nervous of hearing what it could be. I'm currently devastated that there could be something serious and she is only 5 :( I'm just praying its something simple

Sorry for the long report and someone fill me with happy thoughts!!!!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Lovely pics! Trailer test. Yes, there are set movements, but I understand they have changed a little, so you shd def check with an instructor if you can. I had to do:

Hitch up. You must do this in the "correct" way. Check brake is on before you go anywhere near the trailer in the car, don't step over the coupling.

Emergency stop.

Reverse from one corner of a rectangle to the diagonally opposite corner of the rectangle and park in a marked out parking bay.

Pull over at side of rd and pull off again; check mirrors before pulling off and look over your shoulder.

You also need additional wing mirrors (clip ons) clipped onto your mirrors. I'll sell you mine if you like!

It is worth having a lesson with someone who is familiar with what the test entails. V easy to fall foul of something, if you don't know what you will be asked to do.

Charem

Visit site
Highly recommend booking at least one session with a qualified B+E instructor as the examiners are quite particular in the way you do things.

Fab pics :)

MadJ

Visit site
Love the pics and your horse.

I've recently done my trailer test and you do all the maneuvers hottotrot mentions above except the emergency stop now.
I'd also recommend you book a few hours with an instructor just to get used to doing things a particular way, like the hitch/unhitch in the correct order and checking mirrors a lot.
It did take me 2 goes to pass but I have problems with nerves which really reared their head on the first test, including inviting the examiner to walk home (honestly, really wish I could apologise to him).
The examiners will answer any questions you have before and during the test and really are as helpful as possible, even with people like me.

Javabb94

Visit site
Lovely pics! Trailer test. Yes, there are set movements, but I understand they have changed a little, so you shd def check with an instructor if you can. I had to do:

Hitch up. You must do this in the "correct" way. Check brake is on before you go anywhere near the trailer in the car, don't step over the coupling.

Emergency stop.

Reverse from one corner of a rectangle to the diagonally opposite corner of the rectangle and park in a marked out parking bay.

Pull over at side of rd and pull off again; check mirrors before pulling off and look over your shoulder.

You also need additional wing mirrors (clip ons) clipped onto your mirrors. I'll sell you mine if you like!

It is worth having a lesson with someone who is familiar with what the test entails. V easy to fall foul of something, if you don't know what you will be asked to do.

Thanks for this that's really useful! Have been quoted £600 for 3 days training including test, but will have dad teach me and then probably do 1 day of learning the 'correct' way so to speak.

Highly recommend booking at least one session with a qualified B+E instructor as the examiners are quite particular in the way you do things.

Fab pics :)

Love the pics and your horse.

I've recently done my trailer test and you do all the maneuvers hottotrot mentions above except the emergency stop now.
I'd also recommend you book a few hours with an instructor just to get used to doing things a particular way, like the hitch/unhitch in the correct order and checking mirrors a lot.
It did take me 2 goes to pass but I have problems with nerves which really reared their head on the first test, including inviting the examiner to walk home (honestly, really wish I could apologise to him).
The examiners will answer any questions you have before and during the test and really are as helpful as possible, even with people like me.

Thanks :) it doesn't sound as scary as I thought. Before my driving test I was terrified but once I was driving I seemed to relax.

Will definitely get some lessons with a B+E instructor

anna22

Visit site
I took my trailer test last year, you have to drive like you did in your driving test... feed the wheel, mirror signal manoeuvre etc. I did 2x 3hour lessons then a 2hour one before my test. Another odd thing to someone wanting to tow a horse is you have to be seen to drive progressively - so if it's safe to, you're expected to get up to the speed limits as you're taking an industry test for working drivers too. You'll be fine :) The set manoeuvres just require practice!

Nice day's jumping, well done :) !! He looks great.

Javabb94

Visit site
Wow that does look like a big meter! Well done! :D

Thanks - it certainly felt big!

I took my trailer test last year, you have to drive like you did in your driving test... feed the wheel, mirror signal manoeuvre etc. I did 2x 3hour lessons then a 2hour one before my test. Another odd thing to someone wanting to tow a horse is you have to be seen to drive progressively - so if it's safe to, you're expected to get up to the speed limits as you're taking an industry test for working drivers too. You'll be fine :) The set manoeuvres just require practice!

Nice day's jumping, well done :) !! He looks great.

Interesting about the getting up to speed thing thanks :) will probably have the 2 x 3 hour lesson thing and practice the manouveres as much as I can! At the moment driving on L's so getting some good practice :)

Lolo

Visit site
That's a big 1m! You and J must be miles ahead in this league by now :D

Fingers crossed for Abbie, hope it's not as serious as it seems now. HHO ponies seem to be on the sick atm, hopefully they'll start bucking that trend soon!

Javabb94

Visit site
That's a big 1m! You and J must be miles ahead in this league by now :D

Fingers crossed for Abbie, hope it's not as serious as it seems now. HHO ponies seem to be on the sick atm, hopefully they'll start bucking that trend soon!

Thanks :) must be but missing next two as hunter trials and dressage

Pretty devastated at Abbie's diagnosis - not sure what happens now but doubt she will return to full fitness
Pretty deflated today actually :(

Javabb94

Visit site
Definitely poor pony :( j better get his act together XC so I have something to event! He is awful XC but I'm determined to get him going doing a 65cm hunter trial and 80cm pairs over Be80 course as want to do Warwick hall next year rather than BE at home as he is a Pratt at home!