Showjumping Stallion Suggestions?

MatHalTed

Visit site
Hello,
I'm planning to breed my mare in spring 2024 for a 2025 foal, to keep for myself and hopefully, provided all goes well, compete at the higher levels of showjumping.
She's a big 16.3hh pink papered AES mare, by Handel II (1.60 jumper) and out of a mare who jumped 1.40s. Unfortunately she sustained a kick to the hock as a young horse which wouldn't have held up to competing so her breeder decided to use her as a broodmare. She's bred 3 foals previously, 2 of which are now old enough to be under saddle and are going very nicely.
I like tall but slim blood type horses, as I'm fairly tall myself but have hip and leg issues which make it difficult for me to wrap my legs around the broader types.

Temperament wise she's the soppiest, loveliest mare I've ever met, however she's slightly lazy and I prefer hotter horses. Conformation wise I'd say I'd like the foal to have a slightly shorter back as she's quite long through the back, and with a stronger hind end. Attached below are confo pics + her pedigree.

Currently on my shortlist are:
Diarado
Emerald van ’t Ruytershof
Utamaro d'Ecaussines Z
Glasgow van 't Merelnest
Eldorado vd Zeshoek

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated + any experience with youngstock from these stallions,
Thank you!
D1B32618-E5B6-4E35-BC98-B0759ECA7E97.jpeg41EE67EB-7AF4-47DA-B596-4C4EC49B5FB5.jpegC0D64B2C-F85F-4242-98CE-C431649BBF4C.jpegCD6E3C95-2291-47B9-8540-BC024947A4B4.jpegBA5FFD27-2C09-4548-9C51-ED7C301CF242.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Diarado- love him, but they can be smaller
Emerald- my favorite, but he can make them quite chunky!
Utamaro- also a bit smaller and chunky, used primarily to take out a bit of height and blood
Glasgow- taller and more blood, but quite long himself
Eldorado- I would pick him from this list for what you want

My fave British based stallions are Lucky Luck, Hello Vincent, Can Ya Mayan (all nice blood types) and Chrysler Key (have a nice quality, tall yearling by him here)

MatHalTed

Visit site
Diarado- love him, but they can be smaller
Emerald- my favorite, but he can make them quite chunky!
Utamaro- also a bit smaller and chunky, used primarily to take out a bit of height and blood
Glasgow- taller and more blood, but quite long himself
Eldorado- I would pick him from this list for what you want

My fave British based stallions are Lucky Luck, Hello Vincent, Can Ya Mayan (all nice blood types) and Chrysler Key (have a nice quality, tall yearling by him here)
Thank you for the reply,
With regards to Diarado: How small are they generally? As long as the foal is 16.2hh or above I should be fine, my current riding horse is a small 16.1hh and I'm fine height-wise on her but prefer the 16.2-17.1hh range, anything bigger than that and I would probably struggle to hold it together though lol

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you for the reply,
With regards to Diarado: How small are they generally? As long as the foal is 16.2hh or above I should be fine, my current riding horse is a small 16.1hh and I'm fine height-wise on her but prefer the 16.2-17.1hh range, anything bigger than that and I would probably struggle to hold it together though lol
My Diarado foal is a first foal from a 16.2/16.3hh mare and is a good size, should end up similar to dam.

However there are a few out there significantly smaller than dam.

Given yours has had 2 already what does she tend to throw height wise? That should give you some indication

MatHalTed

Visit site
My Diarado foal is a first foal from a 16.2/16.3hh mare and is a good size, should end up similar to dam.

However there are a few out there significantly smaller than dam.

Given yours has had 2 already what does she tend to throw height wise? That should give you some indication
I believe her first foal is now 16.2hh at 6 years old and her second is 16.3hh at 4 years old, so a similar height to her

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I know a US breeder has used Emerald a few times now and has atleast 2 mares bred back to him for 2024. I quite like what she's producing. Her horses also have a lot of Indoctro influence and she has a nice one by nixon van't meulenhof. She breeds for a type very similar to what you're after.

MatHalTed

Visit site
I know a US breeder has used Emerald a few times now and has atleast 2 mares bred back to him for 2024. I quite like what she's producing. Her horses also have a lot of Indoctro influence and she has a nice one by nixon van't meulenhof. She breeds for a type very similar to what you're after.
I love Emerald and his offspring seem to have a super jump on them and a super temperament, however I believe he has the Sabino gene, which my mare does too, so there's a possibility that the foal would end up being homozygous for Sabino which causes almost fully white foals. Thankfully it's not lethal like homozygous Overo is, but I'm not a fan of too much white. Too hard to keep clean lol.

TheMule

Visit site
Just going to update this to say that we've chosen Diarado!
Heidi is going to have her pre-breeding exam when I come back from Uni during winter break and then we will be AI'ing her (with help from our vets, of course) in Spring 2024. Fingers crossed that everything goes well :)

Good luck!

vienna123

New User
Visit site
I love Emerald and his offspring seem to have a super jump on them and a super temperament, however I believe he has the Sabino gene, which my mare does too, so there's a possibility that the foal would end up being homozygous for Sabino which causes almost fully white foals. Thankfully it's not lethal like homozygous Overo is, but I'm not a fan of too much white. Too hard to keep clean lol.
FYI: Emerald doesnt carry the sabino Gene. He carries the W20 dominant white gene. Have you colour tested for sabino?

MatHalTed

Visit site
FYI: Emerald doesnt carry the sabino Gene. He carries the W20 dominant white gene. Have you colour tested for sabino?
Yes, she came back negative and has an untestable KIT "Sabino-like" gene, which is common in some WB lines. I did decide against Emerald as he's slightly chunkier than I'd like for my own personal horse. However if I do breed her again for a more commercial type to sell he's definitely a top contender.

vienna123

New User
Visit site
Yes, she came back negative and has an untestable KIT "Sabino-like" gene, which is common in some WB lines. I did decide against Emerald as he's slightly chunkier than I'd like for my own personal horse. However if I do breed her again for a more commercial type to sell he's definitely a top contender.

vienna123

New User
Visit site
Ah Ok, My emerald isnt chunky at all in fact very blood. If no sabino Gene and your mare doesnt appear overly marked then you wont get full white maybe just some white legs