Showjumping Stallions with talent and good brains?

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
I'm not familiar with studs in the UK and Europe (I'm from the USA, but relocating with husband soon). For a half thoroughbred mare with 1.20m scope, I'd like to add better jumping technique, maybe a bit of a longer neck. Hoping to get a horse with a little more talent than the dam without losing her good temperament. I have grand prix ambitions, ultimately. I also don't want to go any bigger or heavier- she's already 17h and about 540kg; not a refining type stallion, but definitely not one known to add size if that makes sense?

I know it's not as simple as "add this, take that away" but would just like to get a little more familiar with what's available- looking to breed in 2017. Thanks for any insight!!

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Where to start? You'll probably spend many a happy winter evening with stallion books! But one starting point should certainly be Brendon Stud in the UK who have a number of outstanding stallions who are successful competitors in their own right, and are also breeding very talented offspring. Contact Shirley Light at Brendon: http://www.brendonpyecombe.co.uk/brendonstud/stallions.asp and ask her advice in relation to your mare.
If you are looking on the Continent then Zangersheide are a very good place to start : again, an amazing array of stallions, reasonable stud fees and good customer service. Have fun!

Oscar

Visit site
I don't know anything about SJ lines, but in dressage if you want GP potential it's best to use the best on the best. So GP lines on both dam & stallion, with the stallion competing at the level you want, producing youngstock that also go the distance. Avoid the flashy cheaper young stallions if you are a one mare owner/breeder and it's for yourself.

I know he's like Marmite, but Ken Rehill who owns the Stallion Company may be worth speaking to.

Irish gal

Visit site
If you're going with frozen/chilled vet insemination then there's a massive choice. Olive Broderick in Kylemore Stud in Ireland stocks the VDL stallions from Zirocco Blue down to the up and coming, like the fabulous scopey Dallas. She is so approachable and knowledgable, will happily talk for ages on the phone and look at photos and video of your mare to advise you.

Another person with fabulous stallions from a great line is the Gustavi Stud of Irco Mena fame. There are wonderful, reasonably priced stallions available frozen and I hear the family are also very helpful to deal with.

Springs

Visit site
Hi Assuming your bringing your mare to the UK you will have lots of choice. If your in the UK in early January then you could go to the British Stallion Event, I think it's on the 9th, There will be lots of good stallions to see. StallionAI services are also worth a look.

You may want to keep the TB going so to keep the blood level high for eventing and hunting.

Here is one to consider http://www.springfieldstud.com/Spring-s-Spirit-Eventing-Sport-horse-Hunting-Stallion

no_no_nanette

Visit site
I'd second Kylemore - Olive is incredibly helpful and they have some very nice stallions of their own as well as offering links to VDL (Womanizer's offspring are starting to do very well on the showjumping circuit). It's important to do your research, obviously, and there are some studs/stallion owners that seem to attract lots of controversy : you will pick this up from the forums and asking advice. Personally I would avoid them - life is too short, and there are more than enough very talented proven sires out there to give you a very wide range of choice wthout the hassle.....

Lgd

Visit site
What are the mare's bloodlines.
Much wider choice of top stallions in the UK compared to USA as you have plenty standing in the UK and import from Europe is very straightforward, rather than the nightmare it is to import semen into the US. There are plenty of companies who actually import and have semen stocks for popular stallions.

UK based stallions - there are a few stallion events early in the year (Jan and Feb) and there are loads of European stallion shows early in the year, particularly in Netherlands and Germany.

Where possible go and see the stallions or find someone who has offspring out of a similar type of mare.

Also consider that the mare may not give what you are looking for. Only sure fire way is to buy a youngster that is what you are looking for and there is ample choice of well bred youngsters in the UK..
I have bred for myself out of a favourite mare to maintain the bloodlines and would do it again. I still have 3 out of 4 that I've bred. My first two are smaller than planned but thankfully big enough for me and with the attributes I bred for. My last one was bred to be 15.3hh max and is already 16.2hh as a 3yo - go figure! I know where the shrimp genes came from as there is both small TB and pony in the dam line for those two but no ideas on the 3yo as no 'big' ancestors identifiable.