Showjumps

Puppy

Visit site
Am thinking of buying some jumps in the new year and was wondering what people think about the pros and cons of plastic v wood ones??

I really would like some plastics ones as they would be out in use in the field all year round. However, I'm really worried that being so much lighter they would get stolen.
crazy.gif
Do you think that's likely??

Also, can anyone recommend somewhere to buy some - wood or plastic - (I'm in East Anglia) either indivdual ones, or good value sets. Preferable a place with a website and price list
smile.gif

Gaaah!! Times like this I almost wish I had a man to make me some......
tongue.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Don't go for plastic poles, the horses looses respect for them because they're so light the horse doesn't really feel them if it clouts one and then they get careless. You can't beat good wooden poles
laugh.gif

CastleMouse

Visit site
I have Jump4Joy and Polyjumps, and I think they are great! They are stocked in most major tack shops/agri stores
smile.gif
With plastic jumps, there's no need for repainting them, really handy, and they never rust, much longer lasting!
smile.gif
I love the Jump4Joy jump stands, can be used in different directions, and my polyjump blocks are really handy for fillers or as small jump wings
smile.gif
You can get different weights of jump poles, go for the pro weight, I have them, horses respect them more compared to the lighter ones!

Puppy

Visit site
But jump for joy and polyjumps are both veeeeerrrrry expensive, hence why I said, "good value" - I am a mere student and on a budget here
tongue.gif
Also the blocks, I would think, are soooo likely to get pinched!!
crazy.gif

Puppy

Visit site
Ah, smart thinking my fellow superhero
wink.gif
It's the wings that I can't stand dragging around....
crazy.gif
But I think I may have to go for wooden ones....

Now just need to find some which are good value.... (i.e. in my student budget
tongue.gif
)

Puppy

Visit site
Oh dear lord girl!! I'm quite sure that would be a lots of expensive wood wasted
crazy.gif

Gaaaah!!! Not a hope in hell of me getting any for christmas either.... they'd never fit down the chimney!
tongue.gif

JessPickle

Visit site
The wooden ones I think they literally went to a wood supplier and asked for some poles there all random sizes but they work fine!

K9Wendy

Visit site
Last year we bought very good quality wood poles from local saddlery, £8 per pole, very heavy & sturdy, painted them and they look great. Milk grate make great wings, just beg, borrow or perhaps I shouldn't say, steal some. You can make a wide range of fences inc spreads with them!

Allykat

Visit site
My yard have recently bought some new plastic jumps. They are fantastic. They are expensive but they will last a long time with virtually no maintenence.

We used one of those dremel multidrill things and we have etched the yard postcode into every bit of plastic kit we have.

Shrimp

Visit site
We had some of those at our old yard plus traffic cones, they make great scary fillers
grin.gif

How about getting some barrels and then but some jump cups like these?:
e25931-2.jpg

Then got some plain wooden poles and either leave them plain or paint them yourself.

I personally dont like plastic jumps (unfortunately thats all we have at our cuurent yard even though we have a full set) as them seem a bit flimsey to me and I prefer jumping more solid fences (good 'ole xc!!
grin.gif
) But they do last longer but are just so expensive!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
oooooohhhhh

These make fab jumps, if ever you pass roadworks pick some up!

roadworks.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!! Oi, you little pikey, nick your own!
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
I had a full course of wooden Thanet show jumps in the UK, however I think they started to make plastic ones? Thanet do make great jumps in my opinion and I would think that if their plastic ones are as good as the wooden ones, then you won't go too far amiss.

Good luck.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oooooohhhhh

These make fab jumps, if ever you pass roadworks pick some up!

roadworks.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!! Oi, you little pikey, nick your own!
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ooohh you cheeky bitch
shocked.gif
grin.gif