Shrinking turnout rug after washing?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Hi all,

So I sent a bucas turnout rug for washing and reproofing and put it on the pony tonight and it seems to have shrunk. It's tight across tum yes but the pony *could* have chubbed up yes but its also tight across her shoulders. Last time rug was worn was around 6 weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

Is very odd. No seams or anything seem to be distorted but can't understand how the shoulders would now be tight?!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes happened to one of mine. amigo med weight rug, put it on horse and it seemed small, had to use it anyway but when horse came in i measured it against the lightweight one and it was smaller.... i had the 3 weights of rug all 6ft 3 and the med one was def smaller than the other 2....i didnt take it back as it was muddy but never used those cleaners again...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We sent a batch of Fal Pro ones off for cleaning once, stable rugs, they all came back smaller and not as fluffy, so not as warm :confused:

At home I hose outdoor ones off and do stable rugs in summer in a plastic trough, treading them in like grapes in olden times. All rugs stay fluffy, the right size, and waterproof.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I never usually send rugs to be cleaned and reproofed but these two rugs needed washing for various reasons so rather than lose them entirely and have to buy new I thought I'd give it a go. They look beautiful it's just that this particular one seems much smaller now and wasn't something I'd thought might happen 🤔

Louby

Visit site
Years ago a lady on the yard sent her Rambos to be cleaned, they came back like mini skirts and kind of twisted. She complained and the company eventually paid her for them but wanted the rugs in exchange.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Happened to one of mine, but I'd washed it at 40 degrees. Always washed at 30 or lower, since and no problems. Had to hand rug down to a smaller pony!!

brightmount

Visit site
Two Rambo Supremes came back a size smaller after being professionally washed and proofed. Not the first time they had been washed, and definitely not a cheap brand, so they must have washed them on a super-hot setting. I tend to get turnouts washed as little as possible now as they’re never as waterproof even if they are reproofed, and shrinkage is something else I can do without.