Shut the gate....

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Above the gale that was blowing in deepest Worcestershire yesterday, and whilst I was cosy in the hay barn filling endless nets, I hear the beloved husband scream 'he's out', 'the gate is open' and 'come quick'. There were a few other words too !

All I see is the rear end of my 25 year old super champion disappearing out of the yard and onto the lane at a spanking trot, followed by my husband, sprinting in his wellies, after the horse. Usain Bolt wouldn't have caught my husband up, there were sparks coming off his wellies. A quick thinking friend stops the traffic from the left and I get a bucket of feed and decide to take the car hopefully to get in front of the horse. That awful impending panic and doom feeling in my stomach.

The friend holding the traffic then starts shouting to me that the horse is coming back, so I abandon the car idea and rush into the lane on foot, the horse is coming back, still in his best trot, and trots straight to me, halts and shoves his head into his headcollar. Husband is still sprinting back up the lane, puce in the face and still cursing. I had no idea he could run like that ! The horse, who seemed quite elated by his safari, was put back in his barn and the argument started as to whose fault it was.

Yep, mine. I had looped the string on the barn door, instead of using the solid fastener, whilst I skipped out and fetched hay. The horse was grazing, his barn leads into his paddock and he comes and goes at will. The strong wind had broken the string and blown the big door open. The yard gate was still open after a trailer load of haylage had been delivered, I had failed to close it as the tractor left just minutes ago. My husband told me he was really pleased it was all my fault because his life would not be worth living had it been his fault...............he's not far wrong there !

So we are all fine, horse is sound, husband a little unlevel and stiff. If I hear him say 'shut the gate' once more I will shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Aaaaargh! I do that ALL the time! I added strings just so that I could. Might need a rethink because my OH's heart would stand that malarkey 😏😁

eggs

Visit site
Lost one of mine out of his stable last night when I was doing late night hay and then decided to change his rug and skip out. I didn't bolt the stable door behind me and the little sod pushed it open and took himself off across the yard. I know not to run after him as that just makes him shoot off and usually he goes and chats to his friend next door. Unfortunately I had forgotten that I hadn't properly shut the yard gate and for a horse that doesn't like going through narrow gaps he decided that now was the time to get over that fear and strolled off down the drive. Fortunately the electric gates out onto the road are aleays shut at night so I knee he couldn't get onto the road. He then decided to head back to his stable but saw me coming down the drive with a head collar and turned around and helped himself to an open gate too into ione of the summer fields that is being rested. I couldn't see him in the dark so gave up trying to locate him and went to get a torch at which point he decided that it would be more fun to spend the next 20 minutes trotting around me whilst I stood out in the rain. He finally decided he had had enough and agreed to be caught. My husband came out to see why I was taking so long but decided to go back to bed and leave me to it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I completely know that awful awful feeling!
Last winter I got a barrow full of hay stuck in the snowy gateway, had to let go of the gate to use both hands to try and shove it through. Que old retired merrily leading at a good canter the other 4 out of the field, out of the yard and off up the road.
The worst feeling ever!

scruffyponies

Visit site
Given the number of children and novices involved with my ponies, I have a slightly unusual plan to mitigate the 'loose horse' situation.

After every ride, we graze the ponies loose in a safe area (a verge by the field, and the front lawn by the house), where the grass is lush and they can be supervised easily. That way whenever one of them gets loose without permission, they default into this routine, keeping them fairly safe until they are recaptured.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Yikes! So glad all okay.

I once wrapped a chain round a gate as horses at far end and I was only going to be a minute... Less than five minutes later horses have gone to the gate, rubbed an arse on the chained end, and the four of them are on their way out. D was kicked in the gut as the last horse made his escape. Four horses loose on the road. Absolute worst time of my life. Had to leave D on the ground as horses heading towards a busy main road and it would've been carnage. Some kind locals quickly helped me get them rounded up and back, and I got D to A&E. Consultant couldn't believe he wasn't talking to me in 'that room' as somehow D's spleen wasn't ruptured, he was horribly bruised and in pain.

Been a tad paranoid about bolting things ever since.

SEL

Visit site
I let a herd of 40 out once when the gate didn't shut properly behind me. 7 am in the morning with just me and a hung over YO on yard. I didn't live that down for a verrryyyy long time!

Glad all ok.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
It's one of the worst feelings, years ago my old boy left the field, over the gate, when I'd just turned him out, he then turned to the yard gate instead of the yard. Unfortunately someone was just leaving so the gate was open he shot out between the gate and the car, so I was running in wellies after him as he headed for an A road in rush hour traffic went the wrong way round a roundabout and down a busy B road, when I saw the traffic slow I dreaded the worst, but someone had put their car in from on him and shut him in a front garden. Sadly it was a panic attack that set him off and although he survived that adventure, he was later put down because of ongoing panic attacks.

meleeka

Visit site
It happens to me more often than it should! In my defence it’s not usually my fault although the odd occasion has been. The front gate is always shut if anyone other than me is there because I know it’ll happen at some point. On the odd occasion the gate is open I can relate to the Usain Bolt comment. I don’t bother trying to catch the ponies (who are all stuffing their faces) but sprint past them to shut the gate before they realise it’s open.

I’m probably speaking too soon but I’m the only one down our lane that hasn’t had a proper escapee yet.

Pippity

Visit site
I was trying out a potential share pony who I'd been warned like to barge out of his stable. He'd been easy enough to contain when I went in to put his saddle on, so I figured he'd be the same when I went in to put his bridle on.

He wasn't.

And his stable was right next to the yard gate, so he went through me, out the gate, and down the lane. Saddle was on, but girthed up so loosely it was already slipping back and to the side. I ran after him in a panic, not thinking to grab a headcollar or even his bridle, and found him twenty yards down the road, standing at his field gate.

I led him back by his forelock, while he looked completely unrepentant.

I didn't take up the share!