Sid Update.

Bri

Visit site
Vet said...
'There was an incredibly odd radioactive projectory in the 'forgotten scientific name' but bumpy bit before his tail.

She has never ever seen, heard or read about anything like it, and is very puzzled and slightly worried by it.

She is going to assume it's something muscular and do an ultrasound tomorrow and then re-evalute.

She can't give me any information about what's going to happen to him as it's so unkown and I quote 'perplexingly odd'.

Nothing else showed up, so problem in foot is still unidentified too. Have to ring back again this time tomorow for an update...

Anyone have any ideas?? I know its unlikely but even some cheerful words would help!
frown.gif
Thank you!

airedale

Visit site
presume this is the bone scan ? if so cannot see why she is thinking muscle as that isn't what bone scan looks at

or is this the MRI ? in which case muscle is possible

tailbone could give area something like sciatica in humans I suppose - and that certainly travels the whole way down the leg that is affected (as anyone who has had sciatica will tell you) and is **** painful !!!

something muscular also means that she thinks it's soft tissue - which could be good or could be bad - but his symptoms indicate some form of 'pressure' if the problem is identified close to the spine. Could be operable if necessary and then again it might not be

keeping fingers very xed for him

Bri

Visit site
Yep bone scan...

I wondered that myself, thinking it would just show the skeleton, but apparently it's of such a high level of technology that it can pick up 'hotspots' in muscles
confused.gif
or so I've been told.

Thank you very much, think he's going to need all the luck he can get poor sod.
Feeling pretty rubbish about it all...2 months of waiting and was really hoping that we'd finally get some answers today.
Instead we just got more 'we don't know's'
frown.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Oh hunny, atleast some sort of problem has been identified which I guess is better than what you knew before. Really don't know much about this so can't offer any advice but I really hope that with each new bit of info you gather you're one step closer to sorting this horrible situation out!

*Hugs all round* If you need to chat you know where I am xx

airedale

Visit site
if it's something in the muscle that is usually goodish news as it's remarkable how much muscle you can trim off a horses bum and it can still function happily. One of the Grand National winners had been in a car accident and had chunks of muscle removed as a result and still went on to win the national.

At least you know that all the puzzling symptoms have been because it IS something unusual that is wrong.

It could be something as 'simple' as a lump the result of blows from beatings due to his history. I did a NH horse many years ago that developed a lump on his rhs hindquarter as a result of belabouring with the stick to get results. He had the lump removed and was fine for many years afterwards until he broke his leg in a field accident. If it's something like that then it could well be not too bad news even if an op. is necessary.

Still keeping fingers xed.

Bri

Visit site
I hope so...

She said that there appeared to be some kind of radioactive 'pattern' of hotspots
confused.gif
So who know's! The beating thing would make sense though.
frown.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel
frown.gif
I went through something similar to this with my last horse for about a year.

He stayed up the vets 3 times and i had physio's, chiro's, Bowen theropists and even horse whisperers out to him. We put natural balanced shoes on him, changed his diet and each time all the 'experts' could come up with was 'I dont know but i think its muscular'. Each time i was heart broken as i really thought i would get some kind of answer. Especially from his last stay at the vets where he also had bone scan, x-rays, muscle biopsy and various other lab tests.

The vet adventually told me that he was such a rare case we may never know!! Luckily for me though everyone that see him said they was sure he wasn't in any pain.

The vet said to bring him back into work and since then he has really improved although he still has his bad days i have been told. I sold him eventually to Rambo as i just couldn't give him the time he needed and he is now back out jumping affiliated
smile.gif

I'm not sure if thats what you wanted to hear but i just wanted to say i know what your going through
frown.gif