Side bone would you buy?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, so long as the price was right. Side bone often causes mild lameness as it is developing, but nearly always settles down and causes no more problems IME.

be positive

Visit site
Over £10000 for dressage.

No there will be a reason they have developed and I would be concerned that will restrict it having a future at a decent level, if it was older and more of an allrounder it would not be such an issue, insurance will probably exclude front feet.

cptrayes

Visit site
Over £10000 for dressage.

No way on earth!

Even if they harden of fine, they will be a risk of fracture in future, which I believe then causes lameness. A simple knock or tread could do it, the lateral cartilages are so exposed.

They just aren't normal in a horse of that age, and that's way too much money to pay for a horse which is not normal.

eggs

Visit site
I would have said no as well but I bought a foal and then at four when he was x-rayed for insurance we discovered he had sidebone. Fortunately he is now 10 and has never had a problem and is working psg

Charlie77

Visit site
My old mare had side bone at 7. She was pts sound age 33, after the summer she was diagnosed she never had a days lameness. She did feel hard ground in summer. She also went medium advanced dressage. Not bad for a conni x tb in the early 80s x x

cptrayes

Visit site
I would have said no as well but I bought a foal and then at four when he was x-rayed for insurance we discovered he had sidebone. Fortunately he is now 10 and has never had a problem and is working psg

Very interesting. Did the insurance company put any exclusions on?

eggs

Visit site
No. He has always been insured with NFU since I bought him at six months. My vet was surprised as he had done very little work. She wrote to NFU to confirm that they had not caused him any lameness.

I do agree about not buying trouble though if you can help it but then again the soundest horse can have an accident.

cptrayes

Visit site
No. He has always been insured with NFU since I bought him at six months. My vet was surprised as he had done very little work. She wrote to NFU to confirm that they had not caused him any lameness.

I do agree about not buying trouble though if you can help it but then again the soundest horse can have an accident.

Really interesting, thanks for updating. It goes to show, I think, that the people. who insist that side bone does not cause lameness once settled are right if there was no insurance exclusion. That's good to know.

Gossip Girl

Visit site
Well I didn't buy it was a 5 yr old and a 6 yr old.
I was devastated, the 2 I picked while abroad!
If they had been cheap I may have bought but then I probably wouldn't have 5 stage vetting with x rays and been none the wiser.
Been looking for a year now was wondering if I'd over reacted but too much emotion goes into my horses.