Side effect of ventapulmin?

parsley

Visit site
My boy has been on ventapulmin since Thursday evening and he is being quite naughty to handle. He always is a bit bargy but he is being so a lot more now - all his naughty little habits seem magnified - he knocked me over to get to his food, was a pig to pick out his feet, does a little dance when I saddle him up and puffs out for England when I do the girth up. All these sound a bit silly but there is a noticeable difference.

Has anyone else found this?

Nailed

Visit site
They are probably not due to the medication. They sound more like a side effect of him feeling better from the medication making it easier for him to get about! Sounds like he is feeling well from the medicine.
I have not know horses to act like this from the Ventipulmin, but it is possible he is just feeling happy and easy.

Lou x

bex777

Visit site
My horse was a dope to handle whilst he had breathing difficulties (from the moment I bought him), on the ventapulmin he was fine but it was only when all the irritants were removed he showed how much he can be a little horror!

It is amazing how different they can be when they begin to feel well.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
My horse has been on ventapulmin twice lately and it didn't have that effect!! He is quite laid back anyway but before ventapulmin he had no energy. I notice the difference when working him but not in any other way.

parsley

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I suppose he is just feeling a bit better, although not completely so - he is still wheezing in canter and coughing. I shall be having fun with him when he does feel completely better
grin.gif

dizzidip

Visit site
If Ventapulmin contains any of the ingredients similar to that of human bronchodilator/steroid nebs then it will cause tachycardia (elevated heart rate) which in itself can lead to a feeling of anxiety, people sometimes report feeling shakey. Intravenous/oral steroids cause elevated blood sugars, thinning of the skin etc and in horses; the increased risk of laminitis. Do not know the incidence of inhaled steroids and have never had a horse on Ventapulmin. However, illness related to respiratory distress/difficulty in getting air/oxygen in can cause "altered" behaviour. If he is in it could be that he is feeling better and consequently bored and expressing it in naughtiness. My mare shows that she is poorly by being "naughty"- all her bad things get worse
Hope he is better soon