Side Reins

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
I saw side reins used for the first time on saturday and it left me upset. The poor horse seemed to be in great discomfort, the neck muscles were twitching like mad.

The look of the horse left me upset, does anyone use them?

Ignition

Visit site
yes when im lungeing my horse has sidereins. He is warmed up in walk trot and canter on each rein first, before having them strapped on loosely at first, and tightened accordingly. However, never unnecessarily tight. Afterwards, he is walked and trotted on each rein again to allow him to stretch his neck muscles.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Im sure they are fine if used properly, but this tb had his head pulled right to his chest, and was in obvious distress.

He now has a hernia, no idea if that was because of the side reins or his excess workout.

He belongs to a girl who is a very uncaring owner, he sat in a stable for 2 days with the hernia

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure they are fine if used properly, but this tb had his head pulled right to his chest, and was in obvious distress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's all wrong!! I don't think they can be blamed for the hernia though... His owner sounds horrible!

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
His owner is a stuck up cow, she refuses to clean her horses out, get dirty etc. The rest of us cant help put laugh at her as she refuses to wear a hat incase it wrecked her hair.

Lol and dont get me started on the makeup.

Me, the other day i didnt need fake tan from the poo and mud along my arm lol, my horses are cleaned out by me, I groom and feed them myself

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I use them very occasionally when I lunge, but honestly, this is once in a blue moon since I despise lunging with a passion.

As someone else said, I warm up the horse without, attach them loosely and cool down without. They should certainly not be fastened tightly and Ive always been of the opinion that they're quite dangerous in the wrong hands
frown.gif
Used correctly side reins are ok, but you have to be alert to making the horse move forward on the lunge and not just letting them poddle around on their forehand.

Feel sorry for that poor horsey though
frown.gif

Nuttymanxmare

Visit site
I used side reins with my mare whilst lunging and she was fine. She never had her head kept that far in though!

It definatly sounds as if they were too tight on the poor horse.

My side reins are also elasticted to give more movement.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
The side reins are elasticated but the poor horse cant seem to move it much.

I watched her tack her horse, then put the side reins on, and walk off. How tempted I was to go and take them off!!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Here I go again!!!
crazy.gif

I cannot stand side reins, they are rarely set up correctly and even if they are can someone explain why you would use a training aid that tell a horse they cannot stretch long and low??

The only use is for vaulting or prepareing a horse for human hands that are like blocks of wood. So I guess good in a riding school environment, at least the poor B*ggers have their nerves deadened before idiots start riding them!!

In an age of pessoas, chambon's and de gogue's the side rein has no place except for the above uses.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
This woman didnt use them for lunging, she gave him a few minutes to adjust (was his first time wearing them). Then she jumped on with her spurs (another pet peeve of mine lol).

This is a tb that is already very forward going, ok he doesnt hold his head in, but my mare didnt either and it took time and training to get her to do so.

IMO its pure laziness that makes someone use them the way she did, he wore them for the full hour that she rode him

flyingfeet

Visit site
Oh jesus what a utter b*tch to her horse!!

I like to see he forced into a position when unfit and made to work like that for an hour! And people wonder why their horse's try and bury them after treatment like this.....

Natalie_H

Visit site
That's disgusting - You are so right - My TB came to me very hollow & with no concept of working in an outline. The only training aid I have ever used on him is me & my instuctor!! He now works in an outline beautifully.

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
She insists that her horses are given hard feed 3 times a day, she only rides, she refuses to do anything else. She has 3 horses and they are lovely tbs.

Hes a lovely 17hh boy and ive secretly spent loads of time with him, just fussing over him (while my own mare sulks). Hes only 6 years old and a very sweet guy, he calls out to me when I come in the stabled area, but with her his ears are back.

I said to her once about not wearing a hat and she told me to go f**k myself. I wasnt being rude!!

She is 25 years old (im 26) and she only comes to the yard to sleep with the yard owner. The things she does honestly leaves me so upset that im looking into moving my mare

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
My irish draught mare is 11 years old, she belonged to a girl who taught her to rear up so she could show off with mates, she was only a beginner and totally ruined her.

Ive had her nearly a year and i still cant have her reins too tight or she will rear. She is lazy but i use my legs and voice on her only.

This girl thinks that im too soft as I wont even use a crop lol

flyingfeet

Visit site
I'm 27 and still use a hat, spent too much time in casulty not to!

Still think that is a mean thing to do to her horses, however with that much hard feed its probably only a matter of time until one flips. Unless she has the sweetest TB's, which she doesn't deserve by the sound of it.

Natalie_H

Visit site
I can understand why you would feel like moving as it's pretty horrible to have to witness this sort of thing. She sounds like a right charmer!!

Natalie_H

Visit site
I second that!! I'm 28 & always use a hat - my TB is on fibre based feed & has still thrown me off twice & knocked me out both times - Her hair won't look so good when it happens to her!

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Ive rode this horse ages ago for her, he is a lovely horse to ride and very smooth.

My horse only gets hard feed on the morning i plan to ride, she tells me that I should get my value for money for livery.

burtie

Visit site
I use them, they can be a very useful tool, like all these tools they can also be used badly, if the horse looks uncomfortable or in distress and then chances are they are being used badly. This does not make the tool a bad one.

Natalie_H

Visit site
My mum has used them on her TB - however, as you say - they need to be used correctly. The problem with this particular issue is not the tool, it's the obnoxious owner!