Side reins..?

WelshRareBit

Visit site
I know as a general guideline side-reins shouldnt be fitted too tightly and should act as encouragment rather than forcing a horses head down etc etc
but what are the main benefits of using them?
And can you ride in side reins?

Murphy is a bit of a star-gazer and is very difficult to encrouage to lower his head - I dont want to constantly fiddle with his mouth etc so was thinking side-reins would be good for enccouraging lowering of his head?

Thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
No you shouldnt ride in side reins. A harbridge would be a good alternative as they encourage the horse to stretch down rather than fixing their noses in.

Malibu

Visit site
i have never used side reins but so many people say you should , i ride in a chmabon sometimes, alot say that is BIG NO NO but if you can ride it , it is fine, same with side reins but i would agree with boss and encourage the stretch to gain the right muscle and not that "bulge" that the flase outline produces

steffielu

Visit site
Try long reining in a snaffle, works wonders and you can see if he is in a correct outline from the floor. What i have done in the past is long rein before riding, and then getting on when an outline is established. A month of this really should benefit your horse.