sidebone - can you claim loss of use or vets bills?

kombikids

Visit site
or would it be classified as a pre existing condition?

was chatting to my haidresser who is having a nightmare.

thanks guys

Marnie

Visit site
My mare has got sidebone in both front feet - both sides on one foot and on the outside in the other - which she now has a fractured pedal bone in.

I was under the impression that it was fairly normal to have sidebone, particularly in chunkier horses - saying that, the sidebone has potentially been implicated in Muppet's fractured pedal bone. My insurance are currently paying the fracture claim with no problem. I'm not sure how you would stand with a claim just for sidebone.

kombikids

Visit site
think its a no and a no although am not sure..

my boy has a little ossified bone so i am quite interested!

Marnie

Visit site
I've got some great x rays of Muppet's feet that show the sidebone, can post them if you are interested!!

hellybelly6

Visit site
If the horse did not have it at the start of the policy, it maybe claimable. My horse has sidebone which was corrected with spiral shoes and horizontal cuts into his hoof wall under the sidebone area to help absorb concussion.

Side bone is manageable.

I would not go for a loss of use, this would exclude the horse from everything including cover for colic, laminitis, and injury.

Marnie

Visit site
Hi,

I'm really interested in the treatment that your horse has had - the vet thinks that Muppet's pedal bone fracture may have been caused by the sidebone causing loss of 'suspension' and increasing concussion - therefore would be interested to hear more if you wouldn't mind - please PM if you would rather.

Thanks!

Aru

Visit site
If the horse wasnt registered as having sidebones at the start of the policy then it might be claimable for vet bills it depend on wether the horse was registered with the insurance as having sidebone or not...as for lose of use it could be tricky as sidebone can be found in variable degrees and different horses cope differently with the condition the insurance might just class it as treatable....

Marnine
Sidebones could be indicated in causing the pedal bone fracture because in a normal sitution the cartilages would help by acting as shock absorbers and play some role in suspension(the ligaments have a more important role there)however although they would be one of a few factors in play ive never heard of them being the main cause of a pedal bone fracture....tho im only a vet student not a qualified yet so its possible im wrong..

If you have the xrays handy would you be able to post them up?it would be cool to see the degree and the like...im just asking out of curiosity not because id be much use in diagnosis or that...

Marnie

Visit site
Hi there,

Thanks for that - that was my understanding so it is nice to hear someone else say the same thing!

Here are the x rays....

Right foot - no fracture, sidebone on both sides....
[image]
Muppet1.jpg
[/image]

Left Foot - sidebone laterally, fracture on same side in process of pedal bone.....

[image]
Muppet16-4-09.jpg
[/image]

Fracture....

[image]
Muppet4b.jpg
[/image]

ladyt25

Visit site
My understanding is that sidebone is quite common in heavier types of horse but, if say it was not picked up say on an initial vetting (I think you can fee them quite easily) the it could ot really be classed as a pre-existing condition.

Sidebone (I think) is just a degenerative joint disease like many other although in most cases it does not cause a significant problem. If said person was insured for a while with no problems and had a vet cert I don't think an insurance company could say it as pre-existing. However, if say they had recently insured the horse and a couple of weeks down the line they tried to claim for this I could see why an insurer would be suspicious.

If legitimate a claim i would say yes you could claim a %LOU and there's only really one insurance company I know of who would try and claim any degenerative condition was 'pre-existing' (on the basis it is 'degenerative' and therefore could have been present for a while) and if your friend is insured with them all I can say is good luck!!!
smirk.gif