"sigh" timewasters, its not just buyers that fit the bill!!

Doublethyme

Visit site
Why are people so thoughtless??!! My sister is looking for a lorry at the moment and we thought we had found a definite possibility. Rang up midweek and arranged for viewing on Sunday (a mutually convenient time). At the time no other people were booked to see the box. Sunday comes, after running around like mad things all morning to get everything done in time, we get in the car for the 2 hour drive and the phone rings - sellers saying someone has been to see the box that morning and bought it!!

Now is it me or is this blooming rude!! As far as we are aware, we were the first to ring up and book a viewing and then they go and book someone else in before us and sell it to them, without even giving us the benefit of first refusal!

Grrr......... only saving grave was we were only a few minutes up the road and not halfway there!

Then the seller had the cheek to say "well you could come and see it anyway, in case the other purchaser falls through"!!!! A 4 hour round trip just to see that the box is everything we want and not be able to buy it.......errrr no thanks!!!

If they had made us aware of the other buyer ringing up, we would have gone up earlier to view.

If anyone knows of a Renault Dodge type 2 horse box for sale within reasonable distance of Brighton/West Sussex, please PM me! My sister wants one of the shorter boxes, but still want 6.5/7.5 ton to give enough payload for two horses. Upto £7,000

Doublethyme

Visit site
Yes I do understand that they can sell it to who they like, that wasn't the issue, its was the under handed manner in which it is done.

Unfortunately manners seem to be lacking in most situations nowadays.

Blizzard

Visit site
Yeah I wouldnt hold a lorry and turn people away or delay them just because someone SAID they were coming, many buyers are timewasters and dont show.

It sounds like she let them see the lorry early enough so she could let you know before ytou drove all the way down there though, so there is that.

at least you didnt drive 2 hours to find out it had sold.

siennamum

Visit site
It's very difficult and I understand why you're cross, BUT if I were selling anything, the first people who walked on the yard, who offered the right money would get the box.
The only way to guarantee that's you is to get there straight away. If you had been told the box was unavailable for viewing until then and someone else had been in to see it in the meantime, you could be miffed, but if someone else was available to see it before you then don't think there's much you can say.

Alibear

Visit site
come on people don't even do that with houses now a days so no one is going to stop anyone seeing the box earlier than you and letting them buy it if they wish.

I've found best to ring before you set off to check it's still available , and again ditto with houses!

And at least they did ring you and let you know OK so at the last minute but better than turining up to find that out.

Happytohack

Visit site
How annoying! I am lorry hunting at the moment (seeing one this afternoon - please keep fingers crossed). We have seen loads that haven't been suitable, but I find the best way is to get as much info on the phone as possible, get pics emailed asap and then ask to see lorry as soon as you can and tell seller you will being the cash and buy there and then if it is suitable and can they please let you have first refusal on the lorry and promise to tell them there and then if you don't want it. I always give my landline number and mobile as well and phone them before I set off just to confirm everything. This way, we have never been "pipped at the post" and although the lorries haven't been quite what we have wanted, I have told everyone politely as possible and they have then phoned any other interested potential buyers. It is amazing how many people arrange to view and don't turn up. Hope you find something soon.

JM07

Visit site
can't see the problem really,maybe you should of gone sooner? Also you might not of bought it and a sale would of been lost.

Doublethyme

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
tell seller you will being the cash and buy there and then if it is suitable and can they please let you have first refusal on the lorry and promise to tell them there and then if you don't want it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep we will be doing this next time around - if they don't like it, then we won't bother seeing it. I just thought in my naivity maybe that old fashioned manners would at least give the people who ring up and book a viewing first the chance for first refusal. It was the same day after all and we hadn't just rung up once, we had email correspondence with the seller on several occasions and several phone calls, plus a confirmation call on the Friday to say were still going and get directions.

If it was me selling, I would always go by who has rung up and booked a viewing first, but obviously not the way of the world reading the replies I've had, so at least will be forewarned next time!!

Plus to the people who said at least they rang us before we set off. I don't see two hours notice enough - how did they know that we hadn't set off already as they knew we were coming from quite a way off.

Anyway enough of my whinging
smile.gif
- we were just extremely disappointed and with 2 children and my brother in law in tow - it had been quite an organisational feat to get in the car ready to leave as it was!!! Result - one very grumpy brother in law and two children high on sweets with no journey to go on ......
grin.gif
laugh.gif