signpost feet!

clipclop1

New User
Visit site
hi i was wondering if anyone can help. having spent the last few years being a happy hacker my pony is now getting quite old and semi-retiring. i have now also got a younger horse and decided that it was time to start challenging myself again. ive started having regular lesson again in the hope of competing her at some point but am having real probelms with my feet. no matter how good there position in walk as soon as i up the speed i immediately revert back to the 'signpost' position with toes stuck out and legs getting wobbly. i know practice is the main thing that is going to solve this but has anyone got any other ideas that might help me figure it out quicker?

frannieuk

Visit site
I was told that this comes from a weak lower leg - I spend a lot of time working with my stirrups at jockey length and my bum out of the saddle - makes your legs burn but it has made my position much better.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Try putting your stirrups up a hole and work on relaxing the knee whilst turning it (the knee) into the saddle. (Makes perfect sense to me lol
grin.gif
!!!). You should find that your lower leg position improves after a while and that you can drop your irons back down a hole, if it hasn't improved. put them back up again and keep trying. Excercises in the school without stirrups will also help but make sure you have someone there for safety reasons - is there someway you could have lessons / practice on the lunge?