Silicone seat breeches and suede saddle combination?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I quite fancy trying riding tights with a sticky seat but wonder how they would work with my suede (not real suede but I can't remember the name of the fake stuff) saddle seat? I normally wear full seat breeches (suede) and they stick me nicely to the saddle, just wondering if silicone might either glue me in place a bit much or not be as effective against suede? Hoping someone else has tested this!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Well I did have a suede-seat saddle; and TBH I think if you wanted a super-glued seat the combination might be a good one!

I personally think I might the combination of the two a bit TOO much......... reckon you'd probably end up with the same sort of "sticky-factor" as a Gel-out Acavello??? But if you are riding a bronker or a youngster say, then yep this might work for you!!

Just my thoughts!

holeymoley

Visit site
Ha. I really dislike sticky seat jodhs but the only show ones I have and really like the style of have very small dots of sticky stuff on them. I bought a suede Isabell Werth dressage saddle. Didn’t think anything of it until I wore them to a show- i could hardly rise out the saddle! ?

McFluff

Visit site
I found my sticky seat gel breeches marked my saddle. Didn’t feel much more sticky than my (preferred) mccrown seat breeches. But stopped using them as didn’t like what they did to my saddle.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I found my sticky seat gel breeches marked my saddle. Didn’t feel much more sticky than my (preferred) mccrown seat breeches. But stopped using them as didn’t like what they did to my saddle.

This is an actual concern. Some saddle manufacturers do advice against silicone grip breeches due to the type of marking, damage, and wear on the leather that they can inflict.

I did chat with someone from Sommer who said that these type of breeches could very well void a warrantee on the leather/stitching. Amerigo (the saddle I have now) also has a statement about not riding in them on their saddles.

I hate being stuck to my horse and sometimes even the mccrown breeches I have are a bit much. I don't know why this obsession with grip and being stuck came about. I think the silicone ones are cheaper and easier to produce? I do have one pair and I will say they are comfortable until I ride or get in and out of my car with leather seats...too much stick and the pattern is sparse do not even the stickiest. I rode in them a few times when I first got them to see what the fuss was about. I only wear them for chores and whatnot now.

Anyway, I know many that love them and don't share my view. I rode in a synthetic suede saddle before and found it to have plenty of grip with non silicone breeches.

benz

Visit site
I have a TG with fake suede and sometimes wear my silicone seat jods (yes I do have a youngster ??) I would say it works in that don’t feel I move much in the seat when he’s messing about but it does mark the suede, you can see the pattern from the silicone imprinted on it. It’s not permanent though and easily brushes out :)

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks all, I'll maybe see if I can find a really cheapy pair to try first. I do like to feel fixed on - have to deal with sudden 180 spooks occasionally - but it would still be nice to be able to rise to the trot/ get off when I actually want to....