Silly question about haynets and tacking up

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Rest assured I won't be making any changes to share horse's routine and I am under supervision from more experienced horse folk, but I did just want to find out a bit about how different people do things. One thing I am finding a bit tricky is putting on the bridle when there's a hay net - horse is hungry and very enthusiastically tugging at the hay, so I'm struggling to get both parts of the noseband done up under the chin, as he's constantly moving. Throatlash is fine, getting the bit in is fine (I'm swift enough to get that done mid-chomp!), it's just these noseband straps I seem to be getting in a pickle with!

It's mostly for my curiosity about how others approach things like this, I got it done the other day so hopefully cracked it but I think there's some good learning to be had here. Could I be more assertive in asking him to pause his chomping or is that just setting up an argument I won't win/results in me being bitten? Do I just need to keep practicing as is and get quicker?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you can be more assertive. or yes, remove the net.

I tack up in the stable, boots on first, saddle next and bridle last. I'm happy for them to be eating their hay until I want to put the bridle on -at that point I put reins over the neck and move the horse so they are facing away from the net and that's where they stay until we leave the stable to get going. if they tried to pull back to the hay I'd correct that.

paddy555

Visit site
I don't let mine near the haynet when bridling or with a bridle on. There is a risk of the bit/hackamore side getting caught in the haynet. I also wouldn't put up with being pushed around, bitten or anything else. If they have to be tied up after bridling I put a headcollar on and tie the reins back to the saddle. If they have to be tied up whilst bridling I fasten the headcollar around their neck still tied up.

mini-eventer

Visit site
If mine is loose with a haynet. I put pressure on his chest and ask him to step back away from his net to enable me to put his bridle on. If he does not step back I would be a bit tougher. They should always respect your space and it is good to practice asking to step back.

Also try when you go into the stable ask them to step back away from the door to let you in. Just makes everything nicer if your not getting squashed

doodle

Visit site
Robin is rude! He comes into stable to be groomed and tacked up. Hay at the front beside the door. He is of course starving and so has to eat as much as he can as quick as he can. He stops eating briefly so I can get reins, breastplate and neck strap over head. He then pauses while I put bit in before carrying on chomping. I do up throat lash but leave noseband undone. I put in saddle and do girth. When ready to go I move him a step to the side when he knows he must stop eating. I do up noseband at the door, put my gloves on and off we go. If he is feeling generous once girth is done he will do the step over himself and wait to go. Sometimes he tries to snatch another mouthful but this is not allowed and he is corrected.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of my Arabs is incredibly greedy but he knows when the tack comes out and the bridle is put in his face he has the decency to stand, he will even put his bit in his mouth I never have to ask him to open his mouth ever, I think it's a learned habit and trust I am happy for them to eat but they have to be aware I am there, I do notice they pull very gently on the hay net when I am around and I think that is a learnt respect.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I give mine a haynet when grooming and tacking up and the last thing I do is put the bridle on. I put the reins over his head, take the headcollar off and move him away from the haynet to put the bridle on. I'm lucky as he wouldn't dream of doing anything like bogging off with no headcollar or bridle on.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I'm not sure what kind of noseband it is - I think it's a Comfitech bridle but not sure if the noseband has a specific name. Not sure if doing the straps up first before putting on would work.

stormox

Visit site
I'm not sure what kind of noseband it is - I think it's a Comfitech bridle but not sure if the noseband has a specific name. Not sure if doing the straps up first before putting on would work.

You would just not undo before taking it off, not do them up before you put it on. But it would need to be a cavesson type noseband, not a grackle or flash type.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I feel like doing up the noseband prior to putting the bridle on is skirting round the issue. There will be other times that the horse needs to leave the haynet when asked.

Bernster

Visit site
you can be more assertive. or yes, remove the net.

I tack up in the stable, boots on first, saddle next and bridle last. I'm happy for them to be eating their hay until I want to put the bridle on -at that point I put reins over the neck and move the horse so they are facing away from the net and that's where they stay until we leave the stable to get going. if they tried to pull back to the hay I'd correct that.

This for me too. Mine is not good with a Haynet, too rough. In his stable he now has a bucket thing and when travelling, I tend not to have a hay net outside the lorry.