Silly question about haynets and tacking up

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I feel like doing up the noseband prior to putting the bridle on is skirting round the issue. There will be other times that the horse needs to leave the haynet when asked.

This is a really good point. I also think I'd still end up in a pickle just in a slightly different way!

this is the new collegiate comfitec bridle. Not a grackle but I’ve just bought this and like it. Acts a bit like a flash on the mouth.

Thanks - I've never seen one before and wasn't sure what it is (in relation to type of noseband).

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Mine eat hay while being groomed and tacked up. Well. Not the fat one at the moment... anyway I ask them to step back from the net for the bridle to go on and they aren't allowed back to it with the bit in. To be honest neither took much telling and they are quite keen to get going anyway so they don't generally try to go back to it. It's hard when it's not your horse but you might just have to be a bit more grumpy about enforcing some rules. It may be easier to just remove the net before putting the bridle on.

P.forpony

Visit site
I don’t allow mine to be rude, and that basically includes any thing that inconveniences me!
That said I don’t attempt to tack up a hungry horse as they all have ad lib hay/haylage and a decent scoop of chaff before a ride so by the time I’m bridling they’re quite content to get on with the job.
Also no noseband on the main riding pony helps... no real reason just saves on tack cleaning ?
In your situation I’d just pop the haynet out first and remove the temptation.

sport horse

Visit site
I am sorry you think I am nasty.

However you posted asking how to manage a situation where you coud not do up your horses noseband while he was eating his net. as he is constantly moving. You are able to get his bit in mid chomp. In my world of producing young horses I consider this to be 'thuggish' behaviour and I would not tolerate it as it produces horses that behave a you decribe.

I would not try to tack up a horse that was eating a net as there are inherent dangers. Nor would I allow a horse to eat while it was being tacked up. Yes of course I know that if you have a horse with ulcers, or one that is prone to ulcers you have to give them a handful of chaff or the like to settle the acid in the stomach. I also know that it is not good to have a full stomach when worked as it affects the capacity of the lungs. Maybe that is old fahioned but I doubt the lungs have changed in recents years. Of course it depends on the type of work you are planning to do.

Before I am jumped on yet again, when I say I would not tolerate it I do not mean I would bash the horse around, I would alter the environment to eliminate the cause of the problem.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Sporthorse, I (and I believe Kamikaze as well) misunderstood your post as it wasn't clear - I read your post as you were questioning why anyone would allow their horse to have hay at all before they were ridden, rather than at the point of putting the bridle on.

I agree that I wouldn't have a horse eating from a haynet with the bridle on, but I wouldn't have the horse standing at the haynet bridled (as I said up-thread). I either remove the haynet or move the horse away from it. I've actually never given it this much thought :D

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site

However you posted asking how to manage a situation where you coud not do up your horses noseband while he was eating his net. as he is constantly moving. You are able to get his bit in mid chomp. In my world of producing young horses I consider this to be 'thuggish' behaviour and I would not tolerate it as it produces horses that behave a you decribe.

I would not try to tack up a horse that was eating a net as there are inherent dangers. Nor would I allow a horse to eat while it was being tacked up. Yes of course I know that if you have a horse with ulcers, or one that is prone to ulcers you have to give them a handful of chaff or the like to settle the acid in the stomach. I also know that it is not good to have a full stomach when worked as it affects the capacity of the lungs. Maybe that is old fahioned but I doubt the lungs have changed in recents years. Of course it depends on the type of work you are planning to do.

Before I am jumped on yet again, when I say I would not tolerate it I do not mean I would bash the horse around, I would alter the environment to eliminate the cause of the problem.

It was me who made the OP. I never said you were nasty. If you read the thread you'll see I took on board the point that I could be a bit more assertive in this situation. You'll also see that I am a sharer so not about to start telling the much more experienced owner when they should or should not be feeding their horse. I also responded to your query with a question because I'm not aware of issues to do with feeding prior to riding, and I wanted to find out more about this.

doodle

Visit site
Sporthorse I am not the OP. I have no problem tacking up while he is eating and did say that when it is time to do noseband up a move him a step to the side and do it then.

exracehorse

Visit site
I give mine a haynet when grooming and tacking up and the last thing I do is put the bridle on. I put the reins over his head, take the headcollar off and move him away from the haynet to put the bridle on. I'm lucky as he wouldn't dream of doing anything like bogging off with no headcollar or bridle on.
Exactly my routine

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
They hay and haynet aren't the problem. It's basic manners, or lack thereof. I often groom my horse while he's eating out of his net after he comes in from a very sparse field. I literally just put my arm and hand under his neck and apply some pressure so he moves toward me away from the net and he does so. I wait for him to stop chewing whatever he had left in his mouth and then bridle him. The end.

I suppose you could even teach a verbal command for this while you give a physical aid. I'd personally move him away and back (so, out of reach) from the haynet and then bridle.

To be fair, there are some that you have to be more assertive with than others, but it's still a fairly basic matter to me. Same with not taking a bite out of the net until I've finished putting it up and I've moved our of the way. Just have to be clear, firm, and consistent.

scats

Visit site
My girls are very good. They are allowed to eat hay while I groom and then when I tack up they know to step away from the Haynet and not return to it until I give them the nod, which is usually when I go to get my hat/change my boots etc. I’m happy for them to have a chomp for a minute or so then. Its just something I’ve always done. I’ve not had a horse who hasn’t got into this routine pretty easily. It’s just about repetition, moving them back if they step forwards etc. Consistency is key.

JJS

Visit site
Poor Mary doesn’t get a net at all! But she’s a larger lady who lives out 24/7, so tends to have a full tummy pre-riding, and she’s usually groomed and tacked up in all of 20 minutes. In fact, I don’t even have any hay to hand at this time of year ?

With my previous horses and setups, however, I saw no problem with giving a net, but I did always insist of them having good manners while bridled. You’ll find that a little assertiveness goes a long way, OP, and also makes your life much easier ?

teapot

Visit site

Easy to do with your own horse etc but try that approach in a commercial environment. Yard staff would spend most of their day untying and tying up nets.

OP - depending on horse, either establish some manners or remove the net. It wont die without a net for five minutes.

There's a reason I do bridle last though - boots, saddle, bridle, leave box.

sport horse

Visit site
Easy to do with your own horse etc but try that approach in a commercial environment. Yard staff would spend most of their day untying and tying up nets.

Its absolutely not a problem - I have staff and a pretty comcercial environment but I would not have a haynet on the yard. All my horses eat off the floor - a horse is designed to eat from the ground and feeding off the floor keeps their head and neck in the correct position and in turn that releases the gastric juices to aid digestion. It also eliminates any problems with haynets being caught in any part of the horses anatomy - and we all know that horses are born with an overwhelming wish to find trouble and hurt/kill themselves - and saves hours of time filling the nets, tying them up, checking they are tied up correctly etc etc. The only time I use a net is on the lorry when travelling.

teapot

Visit site
Its absolutely not a problem - I have staff and a pretty comcercial environment but I would not have a haynet on the yard. All my horses eat off the floor - a horse is designed to eat from the ground and feeding off the floor keeps their head and neck in the correct position and in turn that releases the gastric juices to aid digestion. It also eliminates any problems with haynets being caught in any part of the horses anatomy - and we all know that horses are born with an overwhelming wish to find trouble and hurt/kill themselves - and saves hours of time filling the nets, tying them up, checking they are tied up correctly etc etc. The only time I use a net is on the lorry when travelling.

So what's your issue - use of nets or hay before riding?

sport horse

Visit site
So what's your issue - use of nets or hay before riding?

I have no issue - I do not have a problem - we can tack our horses up just fine. I was trying to suggest that having a haynet in front of a horse that you are trying to tack up is not going to make the job very easy or safe especially if, as seems possible, the OP is fairly inexperienced.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I have no issue - I do not have a problem - we can tack our horses up just fine. I was trying to suggest that having a haynet in front of a horse that you are trying to tack up is not going to make the job very easy or safe especially if, as seems possible, the OP is fairly inexperienced.

Point taken - I plan to try being a bit more assertive asking him to step back, as others have suggested. It's possible it's simply that I'm just being too nice about it and if I'm more firm he'll do as asked. Alternatively I will make the bridle the absolute last thing done (usually I tack up then get my boots, hat etc) before we go, and remove the net a little bit earlier.

You're right, I'm not particularly experienced. The owner and others on the yard are, and also very helpful/friendly so I can approach them when stuck. I made the post as was curious about how others approach this situation/task, and it doesn't hurt for my learning (to apply with this horse or others I come across in future) to think about different ways of doing things. I'm probably overthinking a task most people don't even register but it's been helpful to read the replies all the same. :)

Lyle

Visit site
I have horse tied, eating while I brush, boots and saddle. Un-tie horse, turn him away from net, slip off halter and slip on bridle. If it's being heing a pig, just removed the net.

Widgeon

Visit site
Another one here who asks the horse to step back from the haynet when I want to put his bridle on (all the bridle, not just noseband). He's out on grass 24/7 though so he's not usually overly bothered about the haynet. Once the bridle is on I will step out to get all my own clobber on (hat, air jacket etc) and while I'm doing that he's free to carry on nibbling should he wish.

Bruce17

Visit site
Mine have a hay net while grooming / tacking up. I groom, then add saddle and girth up loosely, add horse boots, girth up a bit more, add my own boots /hat/ hi vis, girth up a bit more, ask horse to step back from hay net, add bridle, drop stirrups, girth up a bit more, get on and go.

They are allowed to eat until asked to step back from the hay net. I don't like hay hanging out of a bitted mouth, and the youngster wears a fulmer which I don't want to risk getting caught on the net.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I had to actually think what I do, I'm also a bridle is last on person so bridle goes on, horse moved away from hay, noseband and throatlash doneup.

Leandy

Visit site
If I want to put the bridle on whilst the horse is eating, I put my arm round the horse's nose and pull him a couple of steps away from the haynet and hold him there until he finishes his mouthful and swallows. Then I keep him standing there and put the bit in the mouth and the headpiece over the ears. You can now use the reins to stop him if he tries to go back to the hay, which is not allowed! Once standing quietly I do up throat lash and noseband and the horse is ready. It is not allowed to go back to the hay once the noseband is done up. They soon learn this is the drill and don't try to grab hay whilst I'm putting bridle on.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Well if ever there as evidence of me over thinking things, starting this thread is a great example! But I did want to pop back and say I'm grateful for the replies as I think they just helped me feel able to be that bit more assertive today and it was just about as simple as that! I got myself ready before putting bridle on so it was the last thing to do before going. Didn't need to take hay net away just a firm 'back' to move him away and it was much easier getting everything done up.

We also had an excellent ride out and my confidence has taken another bounce forwards on that front as well :D