Silly question about haynets and tacking up

rajubhaiya

New User
Visit site
I'm happy for them to be eating their hay until I want to put the bridle on -at that point I put reins over the neck and move the horse so they are facing away from the net and that's where they stay until we leave the stable to get going. if they tried to pull back to the hay I'd correct that.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm happy for them to be eating their hay until I want to put the bridle on -at that point I put reins over the neck and move the horse so they are facing away from the net and that's where they stay until we leave the stable to get going. if they tried to pull back to the hay I'd correct that.

glad you agreed with me, word for word :D

JulesRules

Visit site
I let mine eat their hay while i do the saddle and then remove the haynet to put the bridle on. It just saves an argument, especially since my Highland had a new bridle with an extra strap. If he has hay I literally have to wrestle him into it.
My coloured Mare isn't quite so difficult and her bridle is more straightforward which helps so she usually gets to keep her hay.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had to actually think what I do, I'm also a bridle is last on person so bridle goes on, horse moved away from hay, noseband and throatlash doneup.
I'm similar, bridle on at the last minute. However I lead out and then do the noseband up to give him a chance to finish anything in his mouth. I have a micklem so sits more like a drop.

I expect him to stop eating without any fuss when I put the bridle on but let him go back to the net while I fiddle with gloves and hat

9tails

Visit site
I put the bridle on and then lead her out to the mounting block with her mouthful of hay. Once she's finished her mouthful I do the noseband up and get on. No drama, no pushing her around, life is a journey not a race.