Silly question - how do I wear spurs?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I know this is going to seem like a very silly question to most people on here but I have to wear spurs tomorrow and I have never worn them before and am worried about not fitting them properly. I've tried looking for pictures of riders wearing spurs but I can't find anything with enough detail. Can someone please reassure me that there is no great mystery to wearing the things? Apologies once again for the stupidity of the question but I don't like getting things wrong so thought it best to ask.
blush.gif

Cheesey2983

Visit site
lol why have you got to wear them tomora? just out of interest? If you dont know how to wear them possibly not such a good idea to use them?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Yes, you're probably right Crimbo_Pud, I will just leave them off and ask tomorrow!

Santas_secret_elf, I don't really have to wear them tomorrow as such but my instructor has asked me to try them as my horse is taking the mickey a bit . It's my first horse and I've not had him long but I know he is used to being ridden in spurs so it may help. If I don't feel that I can control my lower leg sufficiently I will definitely take them off.

k9h

Visit site
Here are some pics for you sorry olny have my exercise spurs at home

Spur should be level with seem of boot with buckle to outside (note spur on right boot to high)
Image007-1.jpg

A closer pic
Image008.jpg

Front view, buckle should be towards the outside of boot close to spur shank (though some people now prefer buckle centeral of boot to stop catching on stirrup
Image009.jpg

If got a ball on spur should point downwards
Image013.jpg

& if offset the longest bit goes to outside of boot
Image012.jpg

& a top rear view spur slightly points inwards (note the rowles have been filed off so dont come into contact with horse - this is my personal preferance!)
Image011.jpg

Hope this helps but as others have said get someone who knows to show you how to put them on.

k9h

Visit site
No worries thats what were here for, to help each other!!#Plus it gave me something to do!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
There is always a first time for trying spurs. A blanket 'if you aren't experienced then don't wear them' is not very constructive.

Spurs have been recommemnded by your instructor so wear them under her/his supervision & they will be able to tell & show you how they should be used.
smile.gif

GTs

Visit site
And I thought you were meant to hold them on by applying constant pressure at a perpendicular angle to the horses rib!! The rollers were for the advanced riders to show off their skills!

People's attitude towards spurs make me laugh - people are adamant about how others should not use them in certain situations, and then make 10 excuses why it is OK for them to do so! The reality is you will fine, just forget about them and enjoy!

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Just wanted to say, I had my lesson first thing this morning and I turned up in my spurs which instructor said were fitted perfectly - so a big thanks to Huntstress!

Oliver went much better today once he realised that I had spurs on and instructor was pleased with us both. She said that I definitely only used them when I intended to (I was worried I might use them "accidentally"!) so I feel fine about using them again
smile.gif

k9h

Visit site
Well done Capondeville glad you had a great lesson & that your instructor checked you spurs!!