Silly question

Noodles_3

Visit site
My border collie who I have had problems with in the past walking (other dogs, cars etc) is coming on very well! It was mentioned in the past to take her to dog classes and agility training. Whilst I would of loved to I didn't quite have the confidence but now she is coming on so well and we are having successful walks I want to.

Now silly question is - don't laugh! She hasn't been 'spayed' and I am wondering if this would be a problem if we go and I am trying to fend off all the male dogs lol. I want her spayed but she isn't technically my dog, she is my mums and step dads as they were given her when her old owner (my step dads mum) died. However they let me treat her as my own and I do everything with her, sadly they aren't as interested as I am. Though she is treat very well. I do not have the funds to get her spayed at the moment.

So is it a problem if we attend dog classes and she isn't? On walks it isn't a problem. Maybe it will be when she's on the blob! Just would like advice. Also first time dog owner so want to do everything right as much as possible.

Superhot

Visit site
It's not a silly question at all, not everyone realises the responsibilities of owning a bitch, so good for you asking the question. Firstly, how old is she and has she had a season yet? I presume if you can't yet afford to have her spayed, you can't afford a litter of pups either? When she stats to bleed, there won't be much at first, but it is best not to walk her where she is likely to meet other dogs. Don't be surprised if during her season, you get entire male dogs calling at your gate. Uncastrated male dogs have an excellent nose for smelling out in season bitches. This would most definitely mean you would have to stay away from any dog training for 3 weeks from the start of her season, otherwise, male dog owners will be very upset and angry with you, as their dogs will lose all concentration!!!
Do you have a local branch of the PDSA near you, as they would possibly consider helping towards the cost of spaying?

ladyt25

Visit site
It's not a silly question at all, not everyone realises the responsibilities of owning a bitch, so good for you asking the question. Firstly, how old is she and has she had a season yet? I presume if you can't yet afford to have her spayed, you can't afford a litter of pups either? When she stats to bleed, there won't be much at first, but it is best not to walk her where she is likely to meet other dogs. Don't be surprised if during her season, you get entire male dogs calling at your gate. Uncastrated male dogs have an excellent nose for smelling out in season bitches. This would most definitely mean you would have to stay away from any dog training for 3 weeks from the start of her season, otherwise, male dog owners will be very upset and angry with you, as their dogs will lose all concentration!!!
Do you have a local branch of the PDSA near you, as they would possibly consider helping towards the cost of spaying?

God yes, we had an uncastrated dog (you know what men are like about having dogs castrated!), he was a swine for getting out if he got a whiff of a bitch on heat. He was ok really until he was about 4 or 5 and then it got stupid as he would howl and stress and just want to escape all the time. Unfortunately this resulted in a litter of puppies out of an equally promiscuous (spl?) local bitch. We finally managed to get my dad to agree to haveing him 'done' when one night he disappeared and it turned out he'd been outside a house about half a mile away pining to get in to their bitch that was on heat. This had meant he had crossed a main road and so at aged 6 he was finally castrated! It meant he was so less stressed out and god I just can't imagine how annoying it must have been for the poor people having the persistent little swine outside their house!

I would definitely look at options to get her spayed. Have you spoken to your mum and step dad about it?

Umbongo

Visit site
Get your mum and step dad to google pyometra. They need to understand the risks involved with not spaying. I work in a vets and we see a few cases. It results in a very sick dog and an emergency operation.

But yes, you will have to be very careful and not take her to training when she is in season :)

Last edited:

Noodles_3

Visit site
Thank you for the replies! She is a rescue so not sure on her age. We think maybe 7? She is very full of energy and quite puppy like but the rescue home put her at this age. I wish I knew her history!

Yes she has had a season, she doesn't ever bleed much yet and we don't really notice a difference apart from on walks she leaves her scent more and is a lot stronger!

Oh god no we don't need a litter of pups! They would get the right care if ever that happened and wouldn't go without but this is why I really want her spayed. Unfortunately my finances are totally stretched with slightly more important things that need sorting. My mum and step dad are in a similar situation, though they can afford the dog the spaying has taken a back seat. Which isn't right really so I need to speak to them again. My mum might qualify for the blue cross if we took her there and we would give a donation so may have to look into that option.

Is it more risky for her to be spayed at an older / unknown age? She is very healthy and well looked after but I want the best for her!

Will get them to google that umbongo. Thank you all for your advice :) x

twiglet84

Visit site
Well the risk of an anaesthetic is always riskier the older they are.

Perhaps you can tell them that if there funds are stretched for spaying then im not sure how they will afford it if there bitch gets a pyometra. Usually costing around £500-700 and ive heard some clinics charge £900 - £1000!

Also its worth mentioning to them that multiple studies have documented that spaying bitches when young greatly decreases their risk of developing mammary neoplasia when aged. Compared with bitches left intact, those spayed before puberty have 0.5% of the risk, those spayed after one estrous cycle have 8.0% of the risk, and dogs spayed after two estrous cycles have 26.0% of the risk of developing mammary neoplasia later in life. Overall, unspayed bitches have a seven times greater risk of developing mammary neoplasia than do those that are spayed.

I'd get her spayed as soon as you can. xxxxx