Silver runs wild... Literally!!!

SummerStorm

Visit site
I know this is posted in the CR as well but I thought that a few of you who don't go in there would be interested too...

First off, no I'm not joking and I'm not dramatising it either.

Well, not much
wink.gif
All the following is true and happened a few hours ago...

Coming soon to a cinema near you...

Based on a true story...

From the makers of, "Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron" comes the new blockbuster, "Silver, Stallion of the Wild Moors."

This is the tale of a small grey pony's bid for freedom, the adventures he has and how he collects his first herd of mares. Only one thing is certain; this pony really will forever remain unbridled, unbroken and unbeaten...

spirit-stallion-of-cimmaron-poster-1.jpg
Stallion.jpg

So, the initial plan was to take Silver competing today (showjumping) but that plan went a tad, er, 'bottoms up' as he didn't want to load into the box and then started working himself into a state once he was in it. Consequently, I decided the best thing to do would be to go up onto the moor instead and let him let off some steam by having a bl00dy good gallop and give up the idea of competing today completely.

Just a bit of stress relieving, 'blow the cobwebs away' session really...
smirk.gif

Well, we went out for the ride and he was an absolute star - really full of himself but controlled with it and we both really enjoyed ourselves. The accelerator was working a treat but, at last, I had brakes as well!!!
shocked.gif

grin.gif

I should have known it was too good to last...
crazy.gif

Got back to the box and there was a couple of wild ponies there. I untacked and was just about to load Silver when the mares started whinnying to him.

Uh oh...

Silver got one foot on the ramp, decided it was far more fun where he was, and b*ggered off at a gallop with the leadrope dangling to join the two mares. Naturally, I was forced to let go...

Anyway, I followed on foot (he'd only gone about 100 yards at this point) and called him. He threw his head up and the wild ponies decided that it was a good idea to gallop off into the sunset.

And, equally naturally, with Silver in tow...
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

No one except those who have been in the same position as me then can know how horrible it is to watch your pony disappear into the trees knowing you'll never be able to catch them again unless tey want to be caught. You know what the moors are like - open, deserted, totally unfenced and, worst of all, with relatively busy roads criss crossing it everywhere...
frown.gif

We split up - my dad stayed with the box in the hope that if Silver did come back, someone was there to catch him, me and my mum split up and started searching.

For forty minutes, there was nothing. Nobody had seen him, and the one women who had told me he was galloping flat out with two mares in tow towards a road about 10 minutes before I had met her.

Then, when I nearly had no tears left to cry, I got a phonecall saying how Silver had been caught by someone we didn't know but was safetly locked away in their stable. The relief was unimaginable.

I made my way back to the box and headed over to the stable where Silver was - two miles from where he had broken free and in exactly the opposite direction from the direction he had initially taken off in. He had crossed at least one road to get there and the girls who caught him (round a near blind bend on a road - I don't even want to think about it
crazy.gif
) told me they found him accompanied by EIGHT mares.

Typical - he's loose for the best part of an hour and he has to go and find himself, not one, but eight girlfriends...
crazy.gif

Anyway, he loaded *surprise surprise* first time when I boxed him to come home. He was quite excited but, remarkably, we *think* he's completely unhurt.

Got him in the field back home and the poor little lad had obviously worn himself out rather well as he curled up in the sunniest part of the field and fell asleep after he filled his tummy up a bit.

I'll go back and see him soon to bring him in for the night. I hope he's ok - I'm sure that he's understandably just rather tired!!!

If anyone has got any thoughts on the best way to load him when he's being an a*se then please let me know - a chiffney has been suggested and I'm tempted to try it...

I think that's everything - Silver is a lucky, lucky pony...

~SilverFox xxx

Oh yes, and in case you are interested the headcollar and leadrope are still in near perfect condition, if a bit soggy
tongue.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
What a little bugger! Glad he's ok though!

Bet that's the last time ever you will only try to load him in a headcollar?!
frown.gif
Must admit, unless it is an enclosed yard I have nightmares about loading anything just in a headcollar, I've been dragged through too many bushes and ponds to do that anymore! If it's not a chifney then it's a plain snaffle with the headcollar on underneath so it can just be slipped off over the ears once you've got the pony in, far safer in the long run!

He must have a bit of sex appeal though to have gathered eight ladies in that short time!
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Chex

Visit site
What a naughty boy! In situations like that, I wouldn't use a bridle or chifney, he'd still get away from you and probably rip his mouth to shreds from standing on the leadrope many times as he gallops along. If you know he can't get away from away from you, try a bridle or a be-nice, works for me anyway.

JaneMBE

Visit site
what an adventure! Glad you have casanova back!
Friend suggested to a woman at the hunt: (but can't remeber exact way! but you may work it out) Get a lungeline, loop it through front of trailer/lorry round side and pony's bum, attach to headcollar and if you pull gently from the front, (of trailer) pony is being pushed from behind by rope, you just shorten it as you go. Or something lol.
I'm sure someone can work out the puzzle!

LauraBR

Visit site
OMG! lol! Sorry, but you tell the story so well... !

Glad he is safe and sound the little monkey! I nearly had a similarish thing hunting a few months back. Will NEVER take bridle off before loading anywhere 'unsafe' again...!

dwi

Visit site
I would try a dually halter with a lungeline attached. Even if he runs a short way there is some physics principle that means you will have more leverage from further away down the lungeline so you'll be able to stop him. My mare is queen of the bargers but she can't get away from me when she is on the lungeline

SummerStorm

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

Silver's fine but absolutely knackered - he was falling asleep in his stable before I'd even managed to turn the light off!

Thanks for the suggestions too everyone - PinkJava; I think I understand what you mean and I'll have a bit of a play and see if it works...