Similar to butet...

Kylara

Visit site
Any makes/models/whatever similar to a butet jump saddle. Sadly I don't have £2k to buy a second hand one or £4k for a brand new one! Horse goes sweetly in neighbour's butet so something similar without price tag would be fab.

I'll just sit and drool until the lottery win when I can have as many butet saddles as I like!

Essentials (from my saddler) are wool flocking and a flatter tree ;) which rules out certain makes.

I think I used up all my luck when I found my dressage saddle - ex demo with absolutely all the special things I need! Short panels, short flaps, narrow twist, XW, no massive knee block, nice english leather, and SECOND HAND PRICE! I knew it was too much luck in one go :D

Fiona

Visit site
You're small like me aren't you OP??

I love my 2008 Whitaker childs jump saddle, it is very comfy and still looks like new (though I've heard newer ones aren't very good)

Its 16 or 16 1/2 inch.

Fiona

Kylara

Visit site
Yup I'm a tidler :p

It's for the new WB although would probably fit the pony too as they are very similar in shape apparently! She also can't have anything over 17" as she is short backed so a pony/kids saddle might be the way to go, hadn't thought of that.

Not looked at prestige so I'll have a nosey. If only butet weren't so expensive!

Sadly my very good saddler doesn't think much of the new whittaker saddles as they changed how they made them a while back and not as good.

What also isn't helping is the need for a flat tree! I'm currently borrowing this butet as and when but that can't last haha.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
Just out of interest if you and the horse like the butet, why do you say wool flocked? Butet are latex.
I have a friend who borrowed a butet, but couldn't afford one so they got an ideal I think impala made to measure and was really pleased so might be worth a look. She still has the saddle 3 years on

Kylara

Visit site
Saddler suggests wool flocked, doesn't like foam flocking. Butet are sadly out of the question as way out of budget, but I'd probably override saddler if she poopooed the flocking and get one if budget was that high! It would only be used for jumping and jump competing and would have a fluffy under it so some of the negatives of latex foam would be lessened. I'd guess it is because it is harder to reflock to fit perfectly so the saddle has to be an excellent fit already and that they aren't great for riding for a long time. My Frank Baines dressage is wool flocked, nice and soft and great for horse and pony with still developing muscles. I'd get a butet if I could because I know the horse goes fantastic in one, and was broken in in one so obviously not too much of a problem. But as way out of budget and looking for a similar but not so £££ saddle it seems sensible to look for wool flocked so can be more easily adjusted!

I'll look at ideal, they don't suit the pony very well but may suit the WB. I'm really looking for second hand as budget is small having splurged on the ex demo dressage!

rachk89

Visit site
Kent and masters is wool flocking and is fully adjustable. Plus cheap under 1 grand new and around 500 second hand. I love mine it's comfy and horse loves it.

leflynn

Visit site
Was going to suggest Style as I have one I managed to find 2nd hand for under £500 and they are adjustable :) Currently doesn't fit horse but loathe to part with it as i love it!

Kylara

Visit site
Will have a look at those, thanks guys.

Any thoughts on Exselle? Wool flocked I think but don't know much about the brand. Second hand is the way forward as the budget is not great post dressage saddle! Seem to be a tonne of albions around too.

vam

Visit site
I have a Prestige, wool flocked and close contact, don't use a fluffy, well not a proper one, and use it everyday. Have a look at their range as there are lots of different styles, some more close contact, flatter trees and different twists etc so might be something to suit. Not bad price wise second hand either.
Equipe is another I would consider but not sure about wool flocking.

Abacus

Visit site
Prestige and Whittaker are (or were) the same thing, I think.

I have an Exselle which I bought as a bit of a punt - and like you, the nicest saddle I ever rode in was a butet and I wanted something similar. I wouldn't say it is QUITE as nice, but it really is very good for what I paid (I think it was £580). It's a 17" MW and fits both of my big horses pretty well - it also looks lovely (tan, monoflap, etc.... ). I saw one for sale earlier which you could get a trial on:

http://www.sheephamsaddles.com/shop/319-exselle-17-tan-close-contact-jumping-saddle-mw-wide-fit/