simple system feeds

nrob1982

Visit site
Does anyone on the forum use Simple System feeds?
I had a look at their stuff at Brightling ODE and was impressed. It's basically alfalfa-based dried forage that needs a little soaking. Because there are no cereals etc it is claimed you can ride immediately before or after feeding, which is a bonus for those of us with time issues.
However, I'm nearly as sceptical about "magic" feeds as I am about "magic" bits, so I wondered if anybody had any good/bad stories to tell?

Happytohack

Visit site
I have used simple system feeds for several years. I used to do a lot of endurance riding and have an Icelandic who used to have very poor feet and was quite excitable. I saw Jane van Lennep (who is co-owner of Simple System) competing on a 80 mile ride and noticed her horse only had front shoes on and had feet like iron - this made me learn more about her feeds! Her feeds are lucerne & grass based which can be soaked with unmolassed sugarbeet and then supplemented with linseed, brewers yeast and seaweed. They are an excellent source of slow release energy and the horse can be ridden more or less straight away as they contain no starch. They are ideal for endurance horses as they can be fed at vet gates and holds during a long ride. When I was left with an orphan foal to hand-rear (Tilly is on her website's gallery), Jane devised a feeding plan for her and I now have a happy, healthy 3 year old. Give Jane a ring, not only she is very knowledgeable but very helpful.

nrob1982

Visit site
Thnaks JulieL, I'll give her a ring.

The samples they had at Brightling looked and smelled great, not exactly a scientific test I know, but I was impressed.

clipclop

Visit site
I use Simple Systems.
It's good stuff.
Nothing magic about it, it is just good basic feed.
Definately get advice on which of the feeds to use and then you will be seriously impressed with the results.
Speak to or email Jane, she will give you all the advice you need.

Cheers
C x

katelarge

Visit site
A vet I know, Roger Meacock, is a very big fan of these feeds. They have all kinds of benefits. I would like to try to move mine to SS feeds but they take a lot of soaking and mine is on part livery so I'll wait until he's on DIY so I avoid any moaning about the time his feeds take! ive them a call. It sounds very complex but they do talk you through it well. Plus you can ride right after feeding so will fit in well with work and stuff.