Simple Systems Feeding

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Does anyone use this system/ feeds?

I quite like the sound of it in theroy, and they have given me loads of advise, but there is no actual tecnical data available on the website, so i can't compare their stuff with what i'm already using. For example, i use top spec balancer at the moment, but would like to compare this with their 'total eclipse' balancer.

How has it worked out price wise for everyone? I will have to include delivery charges in my costs.

Most importantly though, have your horses done well on it? Do they like it? And is it really 'simple'?!
smile.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
If you search for Simple Systems, loads of threads will come up - it's been done quite a bit.

Personal experience, mine wouldn't touch the stuff, but my friend's horse looks fabulous on it.

Blizzard

Visit site
It was going to cost me over a hundred pounds a month to feed just one of my horses SS, so I decided against it!

Heard mixed responses regarding it, depends if the horse likes it I suppose! I think its normally quite a wet feed.

Maggie2

Visit site
IMO you simply can't compare TS with their balancer, it has no declared content and will be variable as it contains seaweed.

feed the feeds stuffs if you like but leave the TS in.

evsj

Visit site
I was feeding SS up until recently. Mine looked really well on the luci-bix and TE and I found it pretty cost effective. She also had plenty in her to go PN eventing and drag hunting so no energy problems!

It is fairly simple to use, you just have to get the hang of soaking it to the right consistency that the horse finds paletable. Some prefer it sloppier than others for example. I know of some people who have been quoted what sounds like alot but a big bag of TE lasted my id x tb nearly 3 months and she went through a bag of lucie-bix in 2-3 weeks. i added red bag grass nuts for times when she was competing and a bag lasted about 2 weeks at peak times. That's all she needed.

Did have a few problems getting her to eat her breakkie in the morning during the summer - she was more bothered about the grass in her field. I'd say that 85% of the time she ate it all up. It really helped reduce her stroppiness in the stable + made her concentrate better in the school.

I have changed onto Calm + Condition and molasses free Alfa chaff simply because I am the only one at my yard who uses it and there is no-where to store it - my nearest agent is 40 miles away. The principles of less starch and no molasses, as they promote, are something that I will stick to for as long as I have horses.

Oh and you only pay delivery for orders under 60 quid - 60 quids worth usually lasted me 2.5 months.

maisie

Visit site
My cob is on their Lunar Eclipse (calming supplement) and Brewers Yeast, mixed into Lucie Cobs (soaked but water strained off) and Lucie Stalks (just to make him chew) plus a tiny( 50g) of speedibeet) - it took him a while to get used to eating it, but he is MUCH calmer and has a fantastic shiny coat. - I feed much less of the chaff than they said, and gave him a loading dose of the supplements, which I then cut down. I like the system, but you do need to get into a routine for soaking it all - and I definitely recommend straining off the water and mixing in some dry chaff to make it less soggy!! I bought 2 bags of the Luciecobs in July and have still got about 2/3rds of the second so in that respect it saves you money as you don't need much to soak into a big meal. Sorry to ramble on and on! - the bottom line is I like it and my boy looks good on it!!!!
grin.gif

air78

www.ctwequine.com
Have been reading back through old posts about SS, and am scared to order any now in case he won't eat it!
I have tried feeding him alfa a before, and he was picky with that- spent ages seperating the stalky bits and spitting them out of his bowl! Are the luciebix anything like alfa a? i know you soak them, but do they still have stalky bits?

evsj

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Have been reading back through old posts about SS, and am scared to order any now in case he won't eat it!
I have tried feeding him alfa a before, and he was picky with that- spent ages seperating the stalky bits and spitting them out of his bowl! Are the luciebix anything like alfa a? i know you soak them, but do they still have stalky bits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, it's chopped alot finer than Alfa-A. Why not contact SS and ask for a sample? I know of someone who tried it this way. They are extremely helpful (Jan van Lennep - scuse spelling - answers e-mail queries very quickly).

Theresa_F

Visit site
Mine are doing very well on it. I have an old clydie and a young gypsy cob and they have exactly the same - lucie stalks, green gold and total eclipse. They have a little extra instant linseed for joints and coat.

They both look fantastic. Cairo moves better than he ever has and has so much more stamina/energy but nothing stupid since changing to simple systems.

I don't have to soak what I feed - I do mix in some very sloppy speedibeet or water to damp it down.

Mine are not fussy and I do add carrots and any other veggie scraps to their feeds.

It works out about £1 per horse more a week for me than hi-fi lite and alfa a lite did.

I like the way they feed, mine have big feeds which take them a long time to eat but they don't pile on the weight or get stupid on it.

monkey100

Visit site
My connemara and old 11h pony have been on it for a few months now and it has been great. Last winter my connie was hard to keep weight on, this year he looks great it has improved his condition brilliantly. I feed lucie bix and linseed.
I would thoroughly recomend it to any one it has been so good for mine and they love it.