Simple Systems horse feed?

LollyDolly

Visit site
Hello all!

So I was thinking of switching to Simple Systems horse feed, has anybody had any experience with this brand of food? Is it any good?

Thanks! :D

flump

Visit site
My horses went off it VERY quickly! Found the green gold chaff extremely dusty, too the point where I'd have to cover my face with my tshirt to scoop it out of bin!

However a friend uses it with great success!

miss_wilson

Visit site
I fed it last summer to my girl, i used to keep her by the beach so grass quality was pretty poor, and she loved the simple systems feed! then i moved her to somewhere where the grass was alot better and she refused to eat it!!
Tried apple juice and molases in it which just defeated the object as it is very low sugar!!

ecrozier

Visit site
Mine were on it for a couple of years. They looked very well on it, but one was never keen on eating it and would always leave 10-20% at bottom of bowl (tried adjusting amounts, no different). Swapped off it when went into livery as used to have to buy a full pallet and didn't have the storage, but that may have changed. They certainly looked well on it. Now use pure feeds as easier to get hold of, and they seem to prefer the taste.

charlimouse

Visit site
I bought a horse very cheap that was described as 'unrideable' who was on simple systems. Got her home, switched feed to good old pony nuts, hey presto I had a sane horse who has turned into the easiest horse I have ever owned. Now it could have been for a number of reasons why she became a reformed character within a few days, however I personally would discount simple systems because of it.

ETA the horse in question is Jem in my sig.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We used to use it because it was hard to get feeds without mollasses and grains. My girls always ate it and did very well. Now more feed merchants are stocking other cheaper products without the 'crap' so we don't use it.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone!
I have heard that some people's horses go off it very quickly which worries me, I don't want to buy a big bag only for my pony not to eat it! Also when I spoke to the advisers they recommended a combination of three foods, which totals about £38! I am a university student who also has a part time job and I currently only feed my good doer on Bailey's High Fibre Mix and he has always been perfectly happy on it. Also it only costs me £8.50 a bag! I don't mind spending the money where it is needed or if it will make a big difference but I have mixed feelings about it.

What would you lot do? :D

horsemadelsie

Visit site
We had our first horse on their feeds for a while, he ate it and did well on it (turns out he has a molasses intolerance) but we stopped when we started finding a large number of rocks in their version of chaff, and we kept getting mouldy supplements. Because of this I'd never use it again. He is just as good on other brand molasses-free feeds.

claribella

Visit site
My girl didn't like it either. I also found it a bit tricky having to buy in bulk and then send a cheque. I ended up throwing loads away each time. I switched to fast fibre and linseed and never looked back. Its very similar to the pura beet bbput my girl seem to think its tastier.

Kat

Visit site
I looked into it when my mare was dropping weight, but it just seemed so complicated. I would have needed 4 different things and it all needed soaking, too much faff really, especially if you sometimes need someone else to do it. I was also worried to hear some horses react badly to alfalfa, which is the main ingredient.

So I went with pure feeds, one bag, no mixing or soaking, delivered to the door with no delivery charge in whatever quantity you want. Mare has put on weight, eats it happily, and is looking fab!

ihatework

Visit site
My horse is on the red grass nuts out of necessity rather than choice, the bugger is allergic to seemingly most feeds!! He is a typical greedy fat native cross and he is seriously underwhelmed by the SS, it's a bit like having to force feed a compulsive eater!!!

oldywoldy

Visit site
I had a pony came to me for rehab with his Simple Systems food. I dont know why any horse would eat it - it was one of the most unpalatable feeds I have ever seen - and also very high in iodine I thought by law all ingredients have to be declared which they dont. It is also extremely expensive!