Single trailer - IW or Cheval Liberté?

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I’m looking at single trailers and it seems to come down to a choice between IW 403 or Cheval Liberté Touring mare and foal.

It’s for one 16hh ISH (about 500kg) being towed by a Mercedes E-class estate.

I’ve seen a couple of secondhand IW (which are not much cheaper than buying brand new) and secondhand CL seem to be like hens’ teeth...

If we go for a CL it looks like it would have to be a new one - are they so much better than the 403 to justify the extra cost?

If the choice were between a lightly used 403, new 403 and new CL which would you go for?

Also do you think the price of the 403s will go down once the new IW range comes out early next year?

PS when I joined the forum in the summer because my daughter had taken on a loan horse I was warned I was at the top of a slippery financial slope 😬. We’ve since bought him, realised that our own transport would be extremely helpful, he’s needed new rugs, my daughter’s eyeing up jumping saddles etc etc .... on the plus side he is a lovely horse and he makes her very happy 😊

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I have an old 403 and love it, I paid around £2k for it so a lot cheaper than new (remember they rarely show VAT on the advertised new price) it is 20+ years old and not pretty, but it is so easy to tow, move, hitch etc. My horse has plenty of room and he is a 16hh 515kg Anglo Arab so not dissimilar to yours

holeymoley

Visit site
I bought the new single Ifor (well 3 years old now). It’s great. I didn’t fancy the CL as the ones I seen have the plastic covering for the back window/door part. Also didn’t fancy the way the metal supports came down at the side, mine would no doubt get tangled in them!

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
That’s a good point about VAT ..

Sadly I’m in the wrong part of the country, HiPo’sHuman, (unless your trailer is an absolute bargain 😉)

chaps89

Visit site
I've been looking at these and keeping an eye on the market myself. I could buy now but am sitting on my hands being sensible as I can't quite justify the upgrade in car to towing vehicle yet.

In 3 months of looking, 2 CL single trailers have come up, both 2007 models (the ones with the flooring issues) and both priced at just under £2k, both ads disappeared in less than a week!
Personally I'd prefer a CL because I like the idea of the left hand front unload and floor issues aside they seem to get good reviews.

There are plenty of Ifor single trailers (well, not by comparison to double ones but there's certainly more for sale and new ones coming up more regularly than CL!)
Usually they seem to start from £2250 for older models (obviously price goes up for the newer one) but the occasional one crops up at £2k but usually somewhere like Scotland or Cornwall.

Either way they seem to hold their value well and are mostly quite well looked after- from what I'm seeing in ads alot mention service histories/stored indoors/new floors etc.

So I guess it comes down to your budget and only you know what is affordable and whether you're comfortable paying the extra for new or happy with second hand.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Mine is on for £1750, it does have a wooden floor (sound of course!) which obviously doesn’t appeal to everyone. I must say, the 403 is a dream to tow...can barely even notice it on the back, even with my fat Highland in 🤣402ECE5B-DF7A-4214-8C68-34B8D80A6956.jpeg

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree you don’t realise it’s there and that was with an estate car. Looking forward to getting it out with the 4x4 when I eventually get the towbar on! I’ve just had a look the new ifor models, not sure what to think.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Hipo'sHuman, I think your trailer is likely to be a 401, which is the forerunner of the 403 (and many of us think them better built than the newer Ifors ;)). It must be quite old though, as Ifors haven't been putting wooden floors in for a long time. IIRC there was a free recall for a while to put alluminium floors in, as too many horses were crashing through rotten wooden floors.
Having said that, the price seems fair, and any purchaser will likely factor in the cost installing a new aluminium floor in their new purchase anyway.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
That’s a good point about VAT ..

Sadly I’m in the wrong part of the country, HiPo’sHuman, (unless your trailer is an absolute bargain 😉)
There is a single IW for sale nearish Portsmouth at Blendworth Trailers (no idea where you are) I looked at it but bit smaller that the cheval and my horse is big and long. Cheval stall length is about 6'4" and the IW is only 6'. So much to think about!!

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Hipo'sHuman, I think your trailer is likely to be a 401, which is the forerunner of the 403 (and many of us think them better built than the newer Ifors ;)). It must be quite old though, as Ifors haven't been putting wooden floors in for a long time. IIRC there was a free recall for a while to put alluminium floors in, as too many horses were crashing through rotten wooden floors.
Having said that, the price seems fair, and any purchaser will likely factor in the cost installing a new aluminium floor in their new purchase anyway.

I bought it off a friend who assured me it’s a 403, I’ll have to find out the year it was made and check to confirm.

sarahann1

Visit site
Looks like a 401 to me, though I'm much more familar with the double trailers.

View attachment 27387

^^^^Looks very similar to my 401.

OP I thought about a CL, but being in Scotland and therefore lots of rain, the lack of proper solid top shutters put me off. I bought a 401 instead, it's cost me a good lump in repairs, but according to my helpful trailer service bod, it'll easily stand up to another 10+yrs of service.

Batgirl

Visit site
The suspension on the Chevals is far superior and gives a much better ride for the horse. I find them wasier to deal with as well, easier ramp clips etc.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Thanks everyone - I’ve bought a lovely silver secondhand 403 - it’s hardly been used and is in immaculate condition. I couldn’t justify the extra cost of either a new 403 or CL when this one was several hundred pounds cheaper and will do exactly the same job 😊

Abi90

Visit site
I have a 403 and it’s so easy to tow. And horses have a bit more room than in a double trailer with a partition