Siting a mobile field shelter

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I have been lucky enough to recently purchase my own land, and I'm just getting everything ready to move the horses onto it. My field shelter is being delivered at the end of next week and I need to decide where to put it. Originally I was going to leave it properly mobile but that will cause it's own issues with sinking, mud, etc, so I'm going to have a hard-core/chalk base put down. Now I have to decide which way to face it!

My field runs in a North-south strip, sloping from west to east. The south and east edges of the field are sheltered with hedgerow, and the East edge is the flatter area. Our prevailing winds are south-westerly but when the north-easterlies come in, they're bitter. If I site it in the flattest part, next to the gate, I need to have it facing to the SW, although it's sheltered by the slope and the hedgerow on the south side; on the plus side it will be totally sheltered from the cold NE winds..

Hmmm writing it all down, it makes sense to me to put it there. Any wise words to add to my decision making?

Tea and cake for everyone who's been patient enough to listen to my ramblings, and sorry but there are probably going to be lots more threads in a similar vein 🤣

Polos Mum

Visit site
If you want to put down a base you technically need planning (the base makes it not permanent)

So I would site it where it's least intrusive to your neighbours !!

tda

Visit site
I'm waiting for mine to be delivered, I'm going with the back to the worst regular wind, 😁 I've had hard-core put down too, but also getting some mud control mats for in front of it x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Just don't face the full opening to the midday sun. Horses will go in a shelter in summer to escape flies and can be even hotter when standing in doorway with sun beating in (moved my mobile one after 3 days of finding that one out A few years ago). Horses can be quite daft and will sweat like anything but won't move away!
The 2 fixed ones face North or North west, the fuzzies find them cooler in summer as 2 are sited near shady trees/hedging, the mobile faces West and Fuzzies can get right round it to shelter behind if they want :)

Happy plotting JB 😎

Edited to add, yes the bitter winds come from north or east, but they dont usually last long and horses use the shelters only whilst eating in winter, but they snooze in them in summer by choice. If the animals can get right round, then always a wall to huddle against. However, I prefer to run a thin electric tape round to stop the buggers from scratching on corners or downpipes!

Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Just don't face the full opening to the midday sun. Horses will go in a shelter in summer to escape flies and can be even hotter when standing in doorway with sun beating in (moved my mobile one after 3 days of finding that one out A few years ago). Horses can be quite daft and will sweat like anything but won't move away!
The 2 fixed ones face North or North west, the fuzzies find them cooler in summer as 2 are sited near shady trees/hedging, the mobile faces West and Fuzzies can get right round it to shelter behind if they want :)

Happy plotting JB 😎

All good points. I'm probably going to have it moved for the summer, and they have tree shelter at the summer end anyway.

hobo

Visit site
I do not know my east, south,north, west from my elbow mine are sited from knowing my fields. Make the pad big enough if you do end up needing to turn or move it. Just get a second one for the summer field you can not have too many shelters!! I agree with mel near the gate makes sense to start with.
You will find that buying the land was just the start of a very expensive time making it what you want have fun.

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Congratulations, we bought our field over 7 years ago and it's the best feeling.
Our prevailing wind is West although like you when we get Easterlies they are bitter. We sited ours with the back to the West, close to the hedge for added protection. It was as close to the gate on the nearest suitable ground we could get although I wish it could have been a bit closer. Our shelter has the very top part of the back wall as Yorkshire boarding to let the wind through. An added bonus is in summer the hedge gives protection from the sun from midday on which means it stays comparatively cool, this has proved important and was something I hadn't really considered. Sometimes though you just have to site it on the most suitable ground and work round the rest.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Id say site it definately on a big hardcore area - as big an area as you can afford with plenty out the front. I had my stables built on a hardcore pad with a big bit out the front so I position the big round bale feeder there meaning they can stand about eating the hay on the hardcore which keeps them out of the mud (and thus minimising them creating more of it!). Its also handy to have a big enough area that if you did need to fence a horse in for whatever reason onto the hardcore area then you could like if one had mud fever or some injury you needed to be kept clean. Ideally have it as close to the main gate as possible as it makes sense from a practical point of view as you could use it as an area for tying the horse up / grooming / dry area for the farrier etc. Position with the back facing the prevailing winds. I leave my stable doors wide open 24/7 (unless I have to stable one) so they come and go as they like - they use mine loads coming in for a nap regularly!

paddy555

Visit site
I've seen lots of field shelters which the horses never use. When you look at where they are sited it is in a position most convenient to the owners not the horses. If you are planning to just let them wander in and out rather than shutting them in I would walk around thinking like a horse to see where they would be happiest with it.