Siting to heavy in the saddle

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I had a lesson last week and my intrustor told me the way my leg is too foward it causes me to sit a bit too hard/heavy on the horses back and he obviously doesn't like it so he got me siting lighter but just wondered if anyone had any exercises to get my leg back/my seat more gentle and to stop me going back to bad habits of siting to hard/heavy- In either flatwork and jumping

LouS

Visit site
Shorten your stirrups and spend 10mins every day (or longer if you can cope!) standing out of the saddle, especially in trot!

be positive

Visit site
Try doing some work in forward seat, in trot and canter, this will help you strengthen your lower leg and not use your seat as a driving aid.
Work on a circle doing half in forward then half sitting making sure the canter remains soft as you change position, you could also put poles on the circle to give you something to focus on riding to.

Ladydragon

Visit site
Shorten your stirrups and spend 10mins every day (or longer if you can cope!) standing out of the saddle, especially in trot!

Whilst I can see the method in this - my thighs and achilles tendons are crying quietly and hoping I don't try it... :D

katherine1975

Visit site
There was a brilliant DVD by Tina Sederholm in my Horse and Rider magazine this month, it was all about your seat and exercises to correct common problems.

Julia0803

Visit site
Ooh Katehrine, did it have anything about working on getting your backside stuck to the saddle during canter?

Many years of charging about the countryside have got me into such bad habits, I keep leaning forwards during canter in the school. Am trying my best to think sit up and down, but any tips would be welcome!

saffytessa

Visit site
At college we were told to imagine a drawing pin pointy side up at the back of your saddle and if you sat too heavy it would stab your bum! Was quite useful. Though so were the threats that if you didn't sit lighter they would tape a real one on to make sure :eek:

For keeping your legs back try to drop your heels down and back towards your horses hind fetlocks as though you were tied with string. It should encourage a more secure leg.

Both things helped me, hope they help you too :)