Sitting on youngster for 1st time

dollface

Visit site
Saddle or no saddle?
I have a rising 3 year old (June), I plan just to sit on him soon, done weight over back etc. I was thinking sit on him and slide off but friend says best get him used to saddle then sit on saddle as its easier to jump off if needs be. He's very laid back so I'm not too worried about him creating. What have you guys done?

Alfie&Milo

Visit site
I sat on my youngster first time bareback, wasn't really planning to but I'd been practising leaning over and he really wasn't too bothered (more interested in his haynet) so slipped over. Easier to slip off too

shadowboy

Visit site
There is a thread on here somewhere asking same question. I go without as I find the flaps, stirrups all get in the way for the first sit and allows you to just slide off if needs be. A flapping saddle can spook a baby even if they seem fine with a saddle when long reining etc.

Nagling

Visit site
I like to get on bareback the first couple of times as I find it easier to slip off. I always make sure I have a neckstrap too though

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I'd sat on mine whilst she was laying down many a time, astride, nudged her with my heels, wriggled around etc and she didn't care, but for backing, we used a saddle. OH had been legging me up over her bareback, but as she's spherical I couldn't stay on and she couldn't balance - it was much easier to do that over a saddle. For backing I was happy to have a saddle, you may be able to slip off quickly bareback, but personally I'm more likely to stay on a horse that spooks, or does a couple of little back humps with a saddle, whereas bareback, I'd fall off!

LouS

Visit site
With saddle. Its the last piece of the puzzle when backing. Most horses will tolerate someone sitting on them without being introduced to it properly, I'd rather do everything properly and sitting on them comes after a lot of groundwork with full tack.

Spiritedly

Visit site
With my old youngster I got her used to a saddle first but sat on her bareback the first time I actually got on her, I hadn't planned on getting on her then it jut seemed the right time. My current youngsters have both had rollers on but at I am leaving actually backing them until they are at least 3. Can I ask if there's a specific reason why you're backing at 2 1/2?

Feathered

Visit site
OP didn't say they were backing him, they said "sit on and slide off" hardly the same thing!
Bareback first time for me, easier to slide on and off and less to get in the way.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine was longlining in a saddle etc etc. I'd done lots of leaning over with and without saddle.

I just hopped on one day - had a walk about then hopped off. Did it again the next day with a saddle, and shes been doing just fine - About to come back into work after 10 weeks off

Second time

224531_10150281396502162_507987161_7648675_8121851_n.jpg

jennywren07

Visit site
No saddle because we didn't have one and we weren't even intending to sit on him!!

he'd been lunged once and was legging friend up to lay over him led her about a bit then a bit more legging up to lay over him/get off. She then forgot she was ment to be laying and swung her leg over out of habbit. He didn't bat an eyelid so we got a saddle te next day led him round in it then up she got.

Not the BHS way but worked for us ;)

Spiritedly

Visit site
OP didn't say they were backing him, they said "sit on and slide off" hardly the same thing!
Bareback first time for me, easier to slide on and off and less to get in the way.
Sorry obviously a case of different meanings....Around this area people tend to call sitting on a horse 'backing' progressing to 'starting' when you then ask for forward steps. I am genuinely interested to know if there is a particular reason why the op is 'sitting' on her horse at 2 1/2, ie is it very well grown, mature etc as I know many people leave it till the horse is 4 or 5 because they think their particular horse is too immature.

dollface

Visit site
Not backing at all, just a sec to sit on him then leave till next year. This year will involve more in hand showing, hacking in hand then some long reign etc come autumn. He's a big guy, 16hh and very chunky

Feathered

Visit site
Yes to me "backing" is asking them to do something not just sitting there.
I've sat on my rising 3 a few times, just hopped on and off while he's been munching, then when the time comes to ask him to move and carry me he'll already be used to me getting on, and it won't be a big deal.

Spiritedly

Visit site
aah the language barrier...and I thought we were all supposed to speak the same language lol ;) my last youngster I left till 4 as she was a late developer and I wondered whether the ops horse was particularly well grown that's all :eek:

Elfen

Visit site
We've lightly backed my youngster - first time proper sitting was with saddle but he had been out on the long reins so was used to saddle and stirrups flapping about. First few times just leaned over and then sitting but not upright. Progressed from there to walking him round the barn.

I see no issue with doing very light work with a younger horse - lightweight jockey and only very short periods. Mine loves going out and about on the long lines - wasn't bothered with a rider up top and will now be turned away to grow some more - hopefully not too much as he's 17.1 already!!!

Spiritedly

Visit site
Spiritedly, he's a big chap. 16h and quite chunky. I literally just want to sit on him, hop off then leave him. Sorry about confusion

That's ok I probably should have been clearer and to answer your question for hopping on and off I'd go with bareback :D

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I have a rising 3 mare and my daughter hopped on board bareback the first time. I ment lean over, she thought get on, so just hopped on and thankfully she didn't bat an eyelid.
We went with bareback for a few more sits and since we've done it in full tack.
We'll continue this whilst she goes through the stages of learning to lunge and long lone in Feb & March.

We too are just a sit on, maybe a wee walk in a circle being led.
I don't think it does them any harm, and when it comes to being asked to go forwards, they are already comfortable with the person up top so it less for them to deal with.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
If a horse is started correctly then it is very very rarely that they object to the weight. After all, leaning over a saddle or across the horses back must make it very uneven for them yet tit is seldom that they react to this.

A reaction comes (if it is going to) because a horse sees a shadow above it. I always get any youngster use to standing alongside the (tall) mounting block and being led from another horse, that way they are use to the shadow so, it matters not whether you get on bareback or with a saddle, though I would always prefer a saddle as it gives you more to hang onto should a horse object! After all, if you sit ona horse and it does something untoward like rush forward or even just get tense and you jump off then it is learning that if it reacts the rider leaves!