Size diff between mare and stallion for covering

Navalgem

www.addienasporthorses.com
How large a diff can you go, in either direction?

I've heard no more than a hand bigger for a small mare, but how big a mare can a 15hh stallion cover, is it possible for them to cover a mare thats a hand (or more) bigger or do you need to AI?

jcwh

Visit site
yes. in fact smaller stallions in bigger mares usually give the in utero foal a little more "room". and births can also be easier because the mare isn't straining to push out a huge foal. flipper d'elle, a 15,3 stallion has covered mares (that i know of) of up to 17,1.

so small stallion x big mare = okay :)
not like small mare x big stallion in my other thread.

BigRed

Visit site
There are few stallions that cover in hand these days, other than the natives. Most studs seem to prefer AI for safety reasons.

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
How large a diff can you go, in either direction?

I've heard no more than a hand bigger for a small mare, but how big a mare can a 15hh stallion cover, is it possible for them to cover a mare thats a hand (or more) bigger or do you need to AI?

Clearly NG you are forgetting a certain 147cm stallion that had wonderful ability at covering 17.1-2 event mares ;) and then the 146cm stallion that really struggled with 15.1 ;) lol

the watcher

Visit site

It is possible for smaller stallions to naturally cover bigger mares, but my view is that if they do this frequently they are lining up for potential hock problems and a shortened life expectancy as a consequence.

Avonbrook

www.avonbrookstud.co.uk
My 15hh stallion has natural covered 2 mares (one in 4 different years including this year) that are around 16.3hh with no bother and without them looking particularly tall for him. However, they were both experienced mares that stand well so didn't present any issues other than the height difference. Interestingly the resulting foals have all been over 16hh with the 2 and 3 year olds set to rival the height of their dam.

eta I would not want to break the "2 hands either way" rule of thumb though.

Thistle

Visit site
They used to have a realy small stallion at the Nat Stud (Blakeney?) He was an old boy and he covered in a special indoor school/yard which hadf a pit/dip in the middle of it so he could reach.