SJ from me and the quirky pony (pics + advice needed!)

Javabb94

Visit site
So I jumped J in the 3rd round of the points series - there isn't a table so I have no idea where I am lying!

After having world championship trials bikes at yard last for 4 days I had missed a few schooling days so pony rather fresh!

As usual jumped him in the 80,90 and 1m.

Course didnt look particularly challenging however in the 80cm he had a stop at a plain oxer and the brush fence- very unlike him, he was very strong as well :(

Java is however very much like this he is either amazing or a little Devil :eek3:

In the 90cm fence 2 was near the gate and he managed to think about taking off but then nap demolishing the wing :eek: carried on and never touched a pole - he also stopped at 3 again
There were quite a few in it with hundreds of faults - I actually ended up 4th surprisingly - some points though :)

Next was the 1m - he jumped every pole brilliantly however stopped at the same number 3 again! I was so annoyed (think it could have been something to do with the sun going down and causing shadows? )

Coming to the final double I had set up a nice canter until he decided to take off 1 stride early in a direction towards the gate and jump it like it was 1.40 but surprisingly 3rd! We missed part b :eek:

To be fair - I have badly hurt my ankle high jumping and couldn't weight bear very well so may have been subconsciously unbalancing him?

Evidence of dodgy double! - he is certainly scopey though!
f6e82628428a52888d30c05da08f22c9_zpsdb116c6f.jpg

Some more pics -
25fdebb155748e12b7c650a0b411092c_zpsbdd4abf6.jpg

Again proving he is scopey -
17a400bce5fbf5b72d6e06da63fd3af8_zpsa96132cf.jpg

He has the scope totally for 1.10 I just need to get him to go round balanced and not spooking - I'm thinking of trying a Kimblewick? Any thoughts? He gets very on the forehand and heavy and rushes away from fences and I find it difficult to keep the balance
He is currently in a NS trans angled lozenge full cheek and grackle noseband
His canter is difficult to adjust (he was a happy hacker from 4 until 12 and has only jumped since I bought him!) so he is pretty set in his ways - we are improving though!

We are doing arena eventing tomorrow judged on style and performance (like unaff JAS)
As java lacks XC jump confidence we are doing 85cm pairs with a horse he will follow

Also get to ride my 5 yr old after 5 weeks off this weekend : can't wait! Missed riding her so much :)

Lolo

Visit site
Love him, he has so much ping! No idea on bits, sorry :(

Glad your girl is coming back into work- hopefully Smokes is now doing the same and it's such a relief!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
He looks great and glad to hear Abbie is coming back into work. I really like my mare in a kimblewick (as far as its possible to like her gob!).

dominobrown

Visit site
Is it fence 3 he stopped at? It doesn't look lie a nice jump, far to airy and looks like it has a bit of a false outline, especially with the dark pole underneath and lighter poles on top with the bright sun might be playing with his eyes a bit? Do they do BS there?

Javabb94

Visit site
Love him, he has so much ping! No idea on bits, sorry :(

Glad your girl is coming back into work- hopefully Smokes is now doing the same and it's such a relief!

Abbie came in lame this morning with an abscess in her hoof :( not the return to work I had hoped!

looks good to me - very scopey!!! haha! and glad to hear the 5yo is coming back into work :)

Thanks - she has an abcess now unfortunately!

He looks great and glad to hear Abbie is coming back into work. I really like my mare in a kimblewick (as far as its possible to like her gob!).

I'm going to see if I can borrow one and have a play and see - just worried about the straight mouthpiece - will have to get a ported one as he has a big tongue!

Is it fence 3 he stopped at? It doesn't look lie a nice jump, far to airy and looks like it has a bit of a false outline, especially with the dark pole underneath and lighter poles on top with the bright sun might be playing with his eyes a bit? Do they do BS there?

Yeah fence 3 - it didn't look very nice when I walked it either! Yeah they do BS - starting with once a month though this winter I think using area Showjumps :)
are you jumping at the end of the day? the shadows may be causing him a touch of concern as he may be seeing false ground poles ?

Yeah it was about 7 30 8ish when we jumped - I think your right about the shadows, once side of the arena has the trees which cause all the stripy shadows!