SJ'er turns Eventer......NOT!

Rambo

Visit site
So, we bit the bullet at the weekend and took Bo to an Eventers Challenge. No dressage (obviously !), but a short course of show jumps, then straight into the x-country phase.

Now I should make it clear at this point that I don't do x-country (well haven't for 25 years), and Bo has never been near a x-country course in his life
shocked.gif

So neither of us really knew what to expect....or what we were doing for that matter lol! It was a very small (2'6") RC affair, but enough of a challenge for us - someone had completely removed all the nice rubber from in front of the jumps, and clearly the grader hadn't been used for years
blush.gif

So we warmed up the side of a mountain, had a couple of practise fences.....which was fine, as they were show jumps lol! Then, we started and he jumped clear in the SJ'ing (I think !)...he had a slight nap going into the first fence but I didn't circle and he then jumped everything else clear (you'd hope so really though wouldn't you at 2'6" lol!). Then we went over the first x-c fence, and in the hollow after it there is a stream crossing. Not marked as a numbered fence, but a flagged crossing point. Anyway. Bo wasn't having any of it ! We spent about 6 or 8 minutes trying but he wouldn't go near it. Then the next horse came through behind us and he wouldn't follow that through either ! We tried to get a lead through from one of the marshalls but he still wasn't having it. I eventually got him to rein back (!!!) through it...and got a huge cheer from the crowd for that We then continued round and apart from a couple of non-positive bits of riding by me which caused 2 stops, he jumped everything else fine....until we got to the second last fence....the water crossing coming back the other way ! Well, this time it was a numbered fence and so we got eliminated for 3 stops at it We then had the indignity of making our way back round the whole course to get back to the lorry park without crossing the stream again
blush.gif

So, it wasn't a great success, but it was great fun. It completely knackered me out standing in my stirrups for 5 or 6 minutes, and I have partially at least, overcome my fear of cantering downhill
shocked.gif
Bo didn't get strong or silly which I was surprised about, and I just reckon I might have another go as i've got the bug for it now
grin.gif

Anyone got any ideas on how to persuade a horse into water lol!

Kelly1982

Visit site
LOL Bo cracks me up, he has such a strong personality and is always keeping you on your toes. i think he did pretty well though considering he is a SJer.

Glad you had a good time and it hasn't put you off
smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
Best way i've found is you need to go back and practise at a water complex, just paddling though and get horse used to it. Backwards and forward, then at trot and keeping doing until gg is happy and if you do slowly slowy horse will get idea. Go with a friend who has a good horse with water wings and just mess around with water. Also when out hacking always ride through any water you find, eg big puddles
grin.gif
grin.gif

Good luck

dieseldog

Visit site
My horse this time last year wouldn't go near water, I went with someone twice schooling and he got the hang of it and the 3rd time onwards he would walk in by himself. So just practise he'll work it out.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse this time last year wouldn't go near water, I went with someone twice schooling and he got the hang of it and the 3rd time onwards he would walk in by himself. So just practise he'll work it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You showjump too don't you ? Do you find it's been a problem teaching them to go into water one minute, and jump over it the next ? Bo doesn't bat an eyelid at jumping a full water jump or water tray in the SJ'ing arena, and i don't really want to encourage him to put a foot in...except when going x-country
crazy.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I jump ditches out hunting one week and then the next week I want my horse to jump into water but all my horses and ponies I have had have coped well. My novice was very suspicious of water at first and napped terribly refusing to go near it then he refused to jump down a step but again that has been conquered with practice and now he will jump in and yet is still careful over ditches. Practice and more practice is the only thing so they pick it up and get confidence.

dieseldog

Visit site
I've never jumped him over a proper water jump, dreading the day when I might have to as I see myself going up and up and up....

I don't know if he jumped them with the last owner. He never looks at water trays, but they aren't really that wide and he will jump a dry ditch under a fence OK as well. I've only done one derby on him and that didn't have a water.

He was totally freaked by having to walk in to water to start with but he's fine about it now and can even trot and jump off a bank, I haven't jumped over a fence into water yet though so that might be a bit different.

My sisters horse though does do both, he BE events and does a lot of derbys and he's always worked it out and never normally puts a foot in the water when SJ.

Rambo

Visit site
Arrrr....okay...thanks for that
smile.gif

I must confess after the weekend I couldn't imagine him ever jumping over a fence into water. Even walking in looks a remote hope at the moment
crazy.gif
He jumped all the ditches and hedges fine though, and went up and down the banks okay too
smile.gif

I really want to do some more x-country on him now though, so am trying to wrack my brains as to where to go to practise or find a course without water lol!

Do most BE courses have a water complex or do they all vary ?

dieseldog

Visit site
Practise on puddles, and go schooling with something that will walk straight in. Mine was awful to start, you couldn't get within 10 strides of one without him rearing and now he walks straight in. I thought as well he would never do it. Practice somewhere with a water jump.