SJer winning first BE event??

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Some of you will know who i'm talking about here...
I have a bet with a friend, who likes to think of himself as a SJer... he has never ridden XC in his life, and only been in a dressage arena once... he has a horse that he wants to sell as an eventer, and to do so says he will go and win an event on it!!

I've bet him £50 that he wont win.. obviously coming second is very good!!! But the bet is for winning!!!
I've set him the challenge of winning the intro at Bath and West in Oct on it.. so it's a fair challenge, with plenty of time to get ready!!!

How safe do you think my £50 is????
I mean for a start getting all 3 things (D,SJ,XC) right on the same day is hard enough... but i thought i'd have the added safety of.. if he does a good test, clear SJ and clear XC... he could still get loads of time faults XC (hoping he might SJ the XC fences) preventing him from winning... i mean at your first BE ODE you're not going to be that good at judging time right?????

I'm not really a betting person... but i think i could make 50quid here?????
grin.gif
hahaha

Rambo

Visit site
Well, I would suggest it very much depends on the horse...A decent SJ'er could turn in a very good dressage and would expect to SJ clear. How much does time come into play at an Intro BE event ? If not much, then i'd say he has a sporting chance lol!

I'm 'considering' taking my SJ'er XC in the autumn....he already does dressage to Medium level (60+ BD equivilent points), and is a 'high-blood' WB....what chance do you reckon he'd have lol!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
The Bath & West XC is not very tricky and is pretty short so I think they have a good chance of doing well but if bet is specific on winning then that is much harder - someone I know who does a lot of SJ in SW did a PN to sell a horse not good enough for SJ got a 33 dressage, clear XC and SJ but got 10 pens for going to fast!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
The horse is a very nice coloured 5yr old WB, not done alot, but i like it alot!!

Now don't take this the wrong way... BUT, i've always thought of SJers as very good at their 'flat work' and not very good at 'dressage' the two being different! (for this argument they are
wink.gif
)

I think time comes into play plenty.. all you need is 10/20 time faults, on top of a really good dressage/double clear, and you're no where!!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
dodgy bet...... sorry! if he gets the right judge he could do v well, and we all know that you have to hack round an intro to not get time faults!

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you get time faults for going too fast as well as too slow
shocked.gif
Crap !

Rambo

Visit site
So, basically, what you're saying is, at Intro level it's pretty much down to dressage assuming you can jump at something approaching a normal canter
crazy.gif
How big are the fences at Intro...3'3" / 3'6" ? I'm guessing most horses jumping a foxhunter would adapt to solid fences at that height
confused.gif

BTW....I don't do X-Country.....well, yet anyways
grin.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if its who i think it is i reckon you fairly safe as i'm sure when i seen him do derbies he takes it fairly safe and careful so should easily rack up a load of time faults

[/ QUOTE ]

It is who you think it is (PG?) please don't go giving him any tips/help!!!!!!!!!! I don't have £50 to give away
crazy.gif

And if hee does win.. pleaso don't remind him of bet
wink.gif

I still say actually winning.. 1st place, and 1st place only is alot harder than it sounds.. even at intro level, as there are so many things to go wrong!!
Hell, in 7yrs of BE eventing, i'm yet to win one!! I've won more BSJA than i have BE.. if he does win.. no only will i lose £50.. but i'll think of it as a sign that i really should give up!!

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
90cms....
wink.gif

watch out all - rambo's headed our way!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

I don't think so....
wink.gif

I take my hat off to you lot who jump the solid obstacles
shocked.gif

I have enough trouble with the 'knock-down' variety...

legend

Visit site
Depends on how much you don't want to lose the bet! Would it be cheating on the bet to offer unsolicited outside assistance as he comes up to the finish line if you think he looks like he might do it?!
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
that was who i was thinking of ha ha! i'm going XC schooling in a couple weeks if horse has had change of heart when it comes to XC (unlikely) I might come challenge P myself
tongue.gif
ha ha ha

And as for P's dressage i don't know he is better than alot but are there draw reins in there for assistance a fair bit or not?! I reckon he could get a decent dressage score though given the challenge.

butterfly f

Visit site
hey missdemeena,
i know exactly how tight you are with your money but i think you are on a sure thing here.

in order to win an intro.... as loadsa people will go double clear, his dressage will need to be hot. and showjumpers dont have a clue about dressage. most of them have forgotten that horses have 4 gaits as they spend their whole life in walk or canter. unless he takes his horse to stay with pammy h for a month of intensive help there aint no way he is going to win this....

good luck!!
x

dieseldog

Visit site
I think he could do OK. I'm a SJer and I took my horse eventing, went in at PN, He had never done a dressage test before, I hadn't ridden 1 in 5 years and we got 32.5, in 2nd by .5 of a mark, so don't write showjumpers off when it comes to dressage. That was at PN as well not intro which is easier. Unfortunatley it was at Bicton and SJ out doors for the first time that year in the main arena completly blew his mind and I had 3 down - how embrassing!

He could win the bet.

dixie

Visit site
Safe bet. He'll rack up loads of time faults on the xc or he'll be rubbish in the SJ as he'll think it is too easy !!

Bertie1

Visit site
I reckon you might lose the bet!

Intro dressage is very simple, just walk, trot and canter in a novice outline, even show jumpers can manage that!!

SJ will be absolutely miniscule compared to what he's used to. And the xc, well, it will also be tiny if he's used to jumping Foxhunter+, and you don't have to go that fast to get round within the time.

I reckon you're in danger of losing your £50!!

SillyMare

Visit site
Safe bet!

I think it is actually harder to do well in an intro than it is higher up (at least, it is if you are as rubbish at dressage as I am).

The jumping is so easy it absolutely HAS to be a double clear with XC time spot on - difficult to judge if he is not used to that level. Plus the dressage tests are so straightforward the marks tend to cluster and much of the score comes down the the horse with the best movement (not much else to judge is there). Unless his horse has fantastic paces it is very unlikely he will be on a leading score.

He certainly has a good chance of a place though, but as you say, winning is really difficult.

BuckingHorse

Visit site
Isn't the time in outdoor showjumping similar to intro? Sure it was 450 mpm but might be wrong. Think dressage might be an issue though as you need to be in 20s to win an intro - can he trot?!?
grin.gif