Skin pinching

IluvCH

Visit site
While grooming horse this morning, I noticed his skin on his neck wrinkled easily and didn't go back very fast. So I pinched a small piece and it took around a second, possibly a tiny bit over to go back. I tried this test on his lower neck, shoulders, girth, and over the rest of his body and the skin returned immediatly to its position, its from below the top of his neck to just before the bottom of his neck on both sides that its doing it. He seems to be drinking normally, ate all his haylage and food, grazing and was his usual hyper active self when I rode him. Hes also pooing normally. Hes clipped and his coat is just growing back a bit more so its a bit spikey.

Wondered if its just something thats normally lke that and I haven't noticed, or because his coats a bit rough? He'd also been left muddy throug hthe night (only on neck) as someone else got him in for us.

Any help appreciated, my instructor + friend seems to think its fine and cnsidering the rest of him is ok but I just wondered
smile.gif

annie02

Visit site
About a second is an ok time for the skin to go back. It could also be he takes longer than a different horse. As long as his gums are a nice bubble gum pink colour and he is drink, eating and pooping fine I wouldnt be to alarmed.

However, this is a good point to bring up, it is nice to know what your horses "normal" is. I would suggest keeping track of how he reacts to things like that as well as what his average temperature, heart rate and breathing are when he is well. Then you have something to compare to when he gets sick rather than the statistical norm the vet would give you.

Bert&Maud

Visit site
Maybe it might depend a little on his age too? Older people's skin takes longer to return than younger.
Horse massage therapist (much respected I might add) told me to add oil to my horses feed to make his skin more elastic. Perhaps if you don't feed any oil you could add some? We just used to use vegetable oil, but now I use NAF Omega Oil as it has nutritional benefits as well.