Skinny people with big horses? Problem?

Blizzard

Visit site
Do you find it difficult to find saddles that fit both you and the horse?

Beau came with a 17.5" dressage saddle, which fit him at the time, however he has filled out considerably, and has grown height wise, and he now makes it look like a pony saddle!
blush.gif

He hasnt been ridden for a few months, so dont worry Im not riding him in this saddle, pic below just taken to show just how tiny it looks on him, and the fact it wont even sit against his back! (OH put it on lol, hence it being so far forward, one good reason why he isnt allowed to tack up yet!
smirk.gif
)

DSC02499-1.jpg

He has totally outgown the saddle in every way, Im hopefully going to get the go ahead to ride him again this week, but I need a new saddle!

I think he could do with an 18" x wide, but I would be lost in a seat that big! Fine for OH as he is 6ft 4, but Im only about 8stones, 5ft 5, size 10.

So Im wondering what other people in my position have done, or if you can recommend any suitable saddles?
smile.gif

I am starting to think a WOW might be the only option, BUT, my OH rides him too, so if i get the WOW made to fit me, what will he ride with?
confused.gif

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Having ridden in 18 inch saddles and being a similar size to you, I haven't found a problem. I actually think big saddles are comfier
tongue.gif
If you get a deep seated one then it takes up each end anyway if you know what i mean? And wouldn't a GP be best? Also if you get an 18 inch, your OH would ba able to ride in it too.

Blizzard

Visit site
Ive tried a few GP saddles on him and they dont seem to fit him properly because he has such a big shouder. He came with a dressage saddle becuse his previous owner bought him for dressage.
I am after getting a VSD.
smile.gif

I look like a child in an 18" saddle!
blush.gif
grin.gif
I really need a 17 inch, the 17.5" is a bit big.

However OH fits into the 17.5" because he is skinny so I compromise.

Im struggling to find a saddle that fits him though, with his size he could probably do with some longer flaps so it looks right, but then I would look stupid.
grin.gif

dwi

Visit site
Before I got Daisy I spent years working in a RS riding all sorts of horses. I never found it affected my riding being in a huge seat.

RachelB

Visit site
I would talk to your saddler about it. My 14.1hh Welsh Cob had a HUGELY long back and had to have 17.5" saddles, and I was a 5'3", 6.5/7 stone teenager. The only way I could cope was to have suede saddles (I had the Wintec equisuede ones) so I didn't slip. We did (with a rubbish saddler) end up with an 18" once, and it was awful. I couldn't sit on it, I just slid around!
I do now (as a 5'5" 8st4 20yo) ride bigger horses at work, and one in particular I rode today is 17.1hh and his saddle must be nigh on 20". I loathe it as I cannot sit correctly and end up in hunt-seat at the back of the saddle. As a dressage rider, that is not natural! Berlin (my share horse) also had a large saddle and I have had to stick a sheepskin seat saver on it to stop me sliding around!
Although, having said all that I have (according to one instructor) only just begun to develop a truly independent seat, so maybe that's my problem? Although I don't have an issue with smaller saddles.

milomoo

Visit site
I am 5ft and 8stone I ride in a 17.5'' and am a bit lost in it, but my pony is a 14.2 clydesdale X welsh and is really deep through his gitrh so anything smaller is useless on him. I have been lucky enough to get a saddle with flaps that are not too bulky for my stumpy legs, which is much more comfy.
At work however I sometimes exercise a 17.2hh who is owned by a 'larger lady' and is in an 18'' saddle and I look ridiculous and my feet are level with the end on the flaps and it's not terribly comfy as I naturally need to sit where the waist is and can't so I end up feeling like I am sliding all over. Not nice when he bounces with excitement!

wkm

Visit site
Use a heather moffat seat saver, not only does it make you much more comfy on your skinny bum it takes up some of the excess!! Haha! I'm a size 8 "petite" 5 ft 4 rider also 8 stone, it isn't a problem really - just enjoy your riding and stop worrying!
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Use a heather moffat seat saver, not only does it make you much more comfy on your skinny bum it takes up some of the excess!! Haha! I'm a size 8 "petite" 5 ft 4 rider also 8 stone, it isn't a problem really - just enjoy your riding and stop worrying!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not worrying I just want a saddle to fit my horse that will be comfortable for me too, so I dont look and feel stupid lol.
grin.gif