SKY update three

Goldenstar

Visit site
Last week we did our first dressage session all the way there I had not decided if I would ride or my trainer in the end I did .
I took a draw rein ( ok shoot me if you like ) my guts told me that’s the way to deal with the naughty spooking .
I am not strong atm still out of shape after the hip break .
My trainer thought my instincts where spot on , I am good at using draw reins I was very well trained in my youth they will allow me to ride forward and know they can give me the edge I need if he makes a bad choice and decides to do his naughty spooking .
It was an interesting session working on keeping his head up and not allowing collapsing through the shoulder onto my hands .
The walk is not a highlight it really shows his weakness through the body atm but I think hacking and time will help this a lot .
Trainer thinks it’s a bad walk let’s see whose right .
The trot is better than the walk it’s interesting to ride a cold blood with a view to training it for my self everything happens slower than I am used to ,we worked on slowing the trot ( as in a little to slow ) and using the legs backed up with whip to quicken his reactions this worked well .
His canter is his high light it’s just a question of keeping him off his head it’s going to be very nice .
He tried so hard my system is different to what he’s used to he’s a bit of a worrier with a naughty streak thrown in .
I was pleased with him.
Two days later we where back for a pole work session in a group it was hilarious four horses working together apart from the canter , thankfully, as that would not have gone well .
He had a couple of spooks but settled and worked hard .
I was thrilled with his attitude.
We have also been keeping at the traffic training this will take time ,on Monday we met to big things one truly huge a massive truck with a earth mover on the back .
We had to stop it and ride back past it when I felt he would panic lorry driver was ace and H the companion horse was a star .
A little later we met a cherry picker and with no where to get out of the way we had to do the same .
But he coped it will take time .
Today was a big day jumping my first attempt since the hip break stylish it was not but I did it and Sky was a total star helping out when it went wrong I was so pleased with him .
All in all I feel we are getting it together .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Great update GS, I'm pleased for you that you're having fun. If his canter is good then my money is all on you being right about improving the walk.

I'm trying to decide whether to teach either of mine to jump. I'm just not feeling like taking the risk but you might inspire me yet 😏

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I can only admire your bravery, riding so soon after the hip op. When I broke my ankle, I felt as if I had lost my core muscles during the time off- and that was as nothing compared to a hip replacement. Well done to both of you!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Love the new avatar 🤣
Why did you decide to go for a different type of horse? Is he an ID?

He is an Irish draught .
His details came my way from someone on here .
I needed a horse fast .
They are slower in their reactions which I felt was not a bad idea in the situation I was in .
He’s a nice horse is breeding and conformation is good
I knew he would be easy to move on if I need to should I find something more me in the future
He’s a good age to buy an ID the bulk of the maturing thing is done so he’s ready for lots of work.