Slaughter horses

Archangel

Visit site
Indeed it is. I see quite a few adverts for 'quiet' horses from Holland and places like that and people buy them because they think they have been imported and this equals superior somehow. Some looked to me like horses that have been pulled off the meat line, especially some of the heavier ones.

ETS - those poor ponies.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Buying horses is such a minefield, I know, I'm in the middle of doing exactly that right now. We are certainly seduced by the thought of a "cheap" horse with European breeding that is perceived to be "superior" and it isn't always just the nivice buyer who is duped sadly!

It is also worth remembering that some dealers are just that, dealers, they care not a jot about the living being!

Cuffey

Visit site
For transport to pay it has to be import and export

The mystery of who instigated the sale and transport of Corran Ard to France is not clear
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardif...ed-from-french-slaughterhouse-91466-26753658/

How many other UK horses suffer this fate but are not 'rescued'?
The minimum values legislation applies to ponies only but that clearly does not work.
New Forest ponies sold under minimum value as well as Dartmoor ponies find their way to France, not necessarily for slaughter.

Last edited:

ghost&secret

Visit site
Very interesting reading, the whole subject of 'exporting' on the hoof has become a minefield due to lack of 'straight talking' legislation and 'persons' being able to use loopholes for personal gain and not giving a dot for the welfare of the equines involved.

This shows how much responsibilty we all have to the very end of our horses lives, to prevent any equine/donkey etc entering into the low grade markets spiral.

Just make the right choice !!

If anyone requires more information or is interested in the subject of the UK exportation of live Horses please go to the World Horse Welfare site.

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/

CracklinRosie

Visit site
Can you link directly to the section on the WHW that deals with exportation to slaughter? I could only find a brief mention in the section about UK Welfare Law, I may just be ,missing it, but then if I am, then so will others.

Thanks.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Visit site
Poor horses! :(

While we are on the subject, I thought I would share this link which I found. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video, but the article is bad enough. How cruel and heartless the people who send their horses to an abattoir must be. :mad: :(

Cuffey

Visit site
Poor horses! :(

While we are on the subject, I thought I would share this link which I found. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video, but the article is bad enough. How cruel and heartless the people who send their horses to an abattoir must be. :mad: :(

I do not want to open the abattoir argument but if an owner cannot afford to keep an unsaleable horse and cannot afford the costs of pts and disposal then the abattoir route is far better than chucked out to starve as we saw in some places last winter.
The other alternative selling at mart risking the downward spiral of dealer to dealer and carted from pillar to post and still ending up at abattoir

Last edited:

Dolcé

Visit site
I do not want to open the abattoir argument but if an owner cannot afford to keep an unsaleable horse and cannot afford the costs of pts and disposal then the abattoir route is far better than chucked out to starve as we saw in some places last winter.
The other alternative selling at mart risking the downward spiral of dealer to dealer and carted from pillar to post and still ending up at abattoir

Where is the blurdy LIKE button! When people finally begin to accept this not nice but very true fact then perhaps, just perhaps, the lot of so many horses will become a better one!

Changes

Visit site

Thanks for those, AM.

What a joke - the first article hasn't even got the regulations correct - loose youngstock are not single stalled after eight hours travelling, they have to be rested.

As for the DEFRA presence at ports - there's another wee porky, they openly admit they don't have the funding to have any presence at all.

Maybe they think if they write down what they're supposed to do then somehow it will be nicely adhered to?

:mad:

snaptie

Visit site

Well said Cuffey.

France/Italy breed horses for the food chain and most are slaughtered in similar manner as cattle and suchlike. Nothing wrong with that. Same as beef for us.

The horses and ponies going for meat here are unwanted excess. It's not pretty but with such breeding in Ireland and Britain there is nowhere for many to go. The racing industry needs a serious looking at (that is unlikely due to the money produced, it's a hugely manipulated, wealth-hungry industry behind the walls as we know) at as do backyard breeders and those still producing the many unwanted Exmoor ponies etc. For me any animal going (or may be going) for meat anywhere should be only transported on the hook, not on the hoof. I have read but still cannot understand why so many are still transported alive when it makes sense to utilise more British, and indeed Irish, people to employment within slaughterhouses.

It's such a shame it has come to this but better a quick bullet here from a monitered facility than days of misery and an horrific death if they survive it that far abroad in dodgy conditions. The blame for this happening so much lies mainly with those mentioned above.

Cuffey

Visit site
Just to add, thanks AM for reminder about the Parliamentary Briefing paper composed before the 'recession' kicked in.
That needs a review the sooner, the better.

Selling horses on or giving them away or even loaning companion horses without proper contracts and regular checks seriously risks their future.

Remember the reason Missing Horses on Loan was set up--
''This site is dedicated to the memory of Lady and Gwendolyn, two well loved horse's from Norfolk that were sold on by their loanee through Melton Mowbray Horse Sales, and then sadly ended up in an abattoir in Cheshire''

Also for those who do not follow ''Stolen'', the 2 oldies stolen with Foxy were quote 'pts' or did they go to abattoir. Some people out there are always looking to make a quick 'buck'.

I dont think any of us know the scale of horses travelling across the Channel 'on the hoof' for meat but with some of the auction prices so low especially for young colts I suspect some dealers think it worthwhile.

Please think carefully about your horse's future before moving it on.

CracklinRosie

Visit site
This forum never ceases to have me shaking my head! It boils down to the same thing all the time across all walks of life and not just horses, people are unable to take responsiblity for their own actions! Take ownership of the problem and we wouldn't be discussing this. Buying from bin end dealers is perpetuating the problem. So much I could write but don't want to incur and infraction! Please add your own adjectives to these words, head, bottom and stuck!

Cuffey

Visit site
Not a lot on World Horse Welfare site about export of UK horses to slaughter but I AM certain this is something they will be watching out for

http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/help-tomorrow/uk-horse-welfare-law

'' We are actively involved in every aspect of UK horse welfare law, which is aimed at protecting the greatest number of horses. Priority areas currently include:

•Protecting horses against indiscriminate export for slaughter from the UK.''

Changes

Visit site
It should be the authorites who man the ports to check horses enterning and leaving. They do it with dogs, why not horses?

We know they know the lorries to check, but they don't have the staff to police it. So once again it's up to self funding welfare bodies to raise awareness and try and put a stop to it.

:rolleyes:

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Without the ports being manned and lorries being checked there is no way of know how many are being exported.

Additionally our passport system is such a sham it makes it easy for the unscrupulous to cover their tracks.

There is no reason why any animal should be transported from the UK to another country for slaughter, but without the systems in place it will continue to happen.:(

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Without the ports being manned and lorries being checked there is no way of know how many are being exported.

Additionally our passport system is such a sham it makes it easy for the unscrupulous to cover their tracks.

There is no reason why any animal should be transported from the UK to another country for slaughter, but without the systems in place it will continue to happen.:(

*** Like ***

char3479

Visit site
Well said Cuffey.

France/Italy breed horses for the food chain and most are slaughtered in similar manner as cattle and suchlike. Nothing wrong with that. Same as beef for us.

The horses and ponies going for meat here are unwanted excess. It's not pretty but with such breeding in Ireland and Britain there is nowhere for many to go. The racing industry needs a serious looking at (that is unlikely due to the money produced, it's a hugely manipulated, wealth-hungry industry behind the walls as we know) at as do backyard breeders and those still producing the many unwanted Exmoor ponies etc. For me any animal going (or may be going) for meat anywhere should be only transported on the hook, not on the hoof. I have read but still cannot understand why so many are still transported alive when it makes sense to utilise more British, and indeed Irish, people to employment within slaughterhouses.

It's such a shame it has come to this but better a quick bullet here from a monitered facility than days of misery and an horrific death if they survive it that far abroad in dodgy conditions. The blame for this happening so much lies mainly with those mentioned above.

Absolutely - well put. I wish people would face up to what really happens to all these unwanted horses and address the problem rather than politely ignoring it.

kateandluelue

Visit site
Heloo :) In my opinion and having rescued a horse from a french slaughter list, i do believe that people are always going to eat meat, cows, pigs horses etc, its life, however i do believe there is a damn site more that could be done for the welfare of the animal, thats all animals. They shouldnt have to go out of country to be slaughtered they should be slaughtered locally to minimize stress to the animals and it should be better regulated. The fact that some animals travel as far as Italy to be slaughtered is disgusting and more should be done to stop this. My horse was very weak just from the Calais to Dover trek, she would never have made a long journey alive.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Heloo :) In my opinion and having rescued a horse from a french slaughter list. My horse was very weak just from the Calais to Dover trek, she would never have made a long journey alive.

Unless you personally transported this animal yourself have you considered what the transporter took out on his way to collect yours? Transporters don't travel empty so whilst yourself and others pat themselves on the back consider the back load......Most likely TBs on a oneway trip to the slaughter house.:eek:

French low end dealers get a better price for their beasts by claiming they are days from slaughter (even better still and for the extra kudos for the buyer and a quicker sale if they claim the destination is Italy for slaughter and it is off tomorrow blah, blah).:rolleyes:

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Take care everyone - look at TFC stickies at the top of this forum and you'll see the whole topic of French (Franch for those who remember the whole debacle) rescue horses is banned.

Ladydragon

Visit site

Another *like*... :)