Sleaford People??

spotty_pony

I am just doing a bit of research at the moment to see what the interest would be in a livery yard in the area between Sleaford and Grantham offering full and part livery with excellent facilities, fantastic hacking and top care? Just seeing if it would be worth doing in the area... what is the current competition as regards to other yards and is it a horsey area?

Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/east-midlands.89/post-thread#gCWMZkUOxRxSsq6b.99

Abi90

I’m moving into the area in the summer and could only find one yard that offered that in that area. The yard has a very good reputation but it doesn’t really have much competition

Polos Mum

I used to live just there - very horsey area - Arena UK, Sheepgate equestrian, Elms Farm and Laughton Manor all within 30 minutes in a box and all hosting regular top end and novice competitions. Most of those have livery options and websites you can look at.
Land is cheap so the main competition is farmers who have liveries on the side - more for the DIY market than you are aiming at.
Good hacking is tough to find so if the yard you're looking at has that (not just round the edge of a few farmers fields) then great.

Polos Mum

Thanks for the replies. Hmm, seems like it might be a goer then..!

I would call the one yard you've found that looks like a comparable service to the one you have in mind as a 'customer' and ask them what their prices are (to compare to what you have in mind) and what their waiting list is like. While it is very horsey because of the local economy / property prices there isn't the wealth that there is in other areas of the UK so it may be that most people do the DIY / farmer thing because that suits them best and that there isn't much top end full livery because there isn't demand for it.

If the existing yard can fit you straight in at a reasonable price I would think differently that if they are charging a good fee and have a wait list for you to go on.

Abi90

I would call the one yard you've found that looks like a comparable service to the one you have in mind as a 'customer' and ask them what their prices are (to compare to what you have in mind) and what their waiting list is like. While it is very horsey because of the local economy / property prices there isn't the wealth that there is in other areas of the UK so it may be that most people do the DIY / farmer thing because that suits them best and that there isn't much top end full livery because there isn't demand for it.

If the existing yard can fit you straight in at a reasonable price I would think differently that if they are charging a good fee and have a wait list for you to go on.
If the one yard is the one I think it is, they are always full with a waiting list and are a large yard as well so there does seem to be the demand.

I currently live in Northumberland with cheaper house prices for houses with land and is more rural and poorer than Lincolnshire and there are significantly more yards offering full/part livery up here. I would say from my searchings that there is a market

Very horsey area. Wouldn't interest me though as keep ours at home!

I know Elms is generally full though so demand must be good in the area, for part and DIY at least. Don't know many people around here that keep on full livery.

FYI - if you were looking at also holding competitions, then Laughton Manor has just stopped all their comps. So people are having to re-route to other local venues.