Sleep and horses

JillA

Visit site
This is well worth a read. Some years ago I was told about an American Police Department who were stalling their horses with no bedding to endure their feet were good and hard. My concern was their probable reluctance to urinate without bedding to minimise the splashback but this looks even more important - I thought horses could get adequate sleep standing up. Worth bearing in mind when bedding is being considered
https://equitationscience.com/media...SVKJR9dbQtlQppTBpjqSco-mMKtovsLoWkOWuRyyF26pQ

Mule

Visit site
I thought that was pretty widely known. I'm surprised the police department weren't aware of it. You definitely don't want police horses collapsing on the job :eek:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We are currently monitoring our horses, who have been living out 24/7 for the last couple of weeks, to make sure that they do feel comfortable enough to lie down in the field, because we are aware that they do not get the right quality of sleep while standing up.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
This is well worth a read. Some years ago I was told about an American Police Department who were stalling their horses with no bedding to endure their feet were good and hard. My concern was their probable reluctance to urinate without bedding to minimise the splashback but this looks even more important - I thought horses could get adequate sleep standing up. Worth bearing in mind when bedding is being considered
https://equitationscience.com/media...SVKJR9dbQtlQppTBpjqSco-mMKtovsLoWkOWuRyyF26pQ

Crikey, IMO feet are much harder anyway when bedded on dry bedding than when standing in the resultant squelch from uncovered droppings.

Visit site
Interesting read....I also think sometimes separating from other horses temporarily can be beneficial for sleep quality. My alpha mare type lay down down every night whilst stabled over winter, but I've only actually seen her lie down in the field maybe two/three times ever,even then not flat out) though she always stands with the others for them to sleep in field, presumably guarding them?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Interesting read....I also think sometimes separating from other horses temporarily can be beneficial for sleep quality. My alpha mare type lay down down every night whilst stabled over winter, but I've only actually seen her lie down in the field maybe two/three times ever,even then not flat out) though she always stands with the others for them to sleep in field, presumably guarding them?
Definitely the case for some. yet my anxious one sleeps more when she has horses close by. if she had a fully enclosed traditional stable, for instance, I don't think she'd sleep at all but with a full width grill divider she's happy.. They are all so different, I think they key is to know your horses really well :)

The Trooper

Visit site
My shire Bonnie is the ultimate napper. I'm sure she spends most her time lying down napping. Belle on the other hand (Alpha mare) i very very rarely see her laying down. I know she does, the hay all over her back tells me that she sleeps on the old hay from where the feeder was before it was moved, she's smart, likes a mattress..

Lurfy

Visit site
My retired horse who lives out 24/4 with a large walk in walk out shelter sleeps lying down most mornings after breakfast. All the horses around him do too. They seem to sleep at around the same time. It's a full care livery so all horses are fed at the same time too.

SpringArising

Visit site
My little lad sleeps laying down a lot - every day I think! I always make sure he has a nice deep, fluffy bed to lay on for this reason. I also think stabling for this is an advantage - lots of horses don't/won't lay down in a cold, wet field so coming in for some RnR is vital!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My old guy then 23 yrs suddenly collapsed like this last year. He was in his stable snoozing over the door whilst I was talking to the saddler about my new horse when all of a sudden he just crashed down. It was horrible. I thought he’d died initially.

This was the first year where we were allowed 24hr turn out and I thought perhaps he wasn’t getting enough REM sleep because he wasn’t relaxed enough to lie down especially as although next to horses he was in an individual paddock.

I kept him in that night and thereafter he’s been out with my other horse and it’s not afaik happened again.

I’ve never seen him lie down in the field and rarely in the stable although he must do at night judging by the poo stains etc.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when my old mare was out 24/7 we used to bring them in for a couple of hours and both my friends horse and mine would snooze flat out. she was in at night in the winter and always laid down and you could see the imprint on the shavings so could tell exactly where she laid down. must be horrible to see your own horse collapse like that...

Mule

Visit site
Mine are normally out 24/7 but last year one of them had to be stabled at times. I noticed he spent a lot more time lying down in the stable than he does normally.

I was putting it down to a comfy bed but maybe it was because he didn't have to rely on one of the herd standing guard over him to lie down.

smiggy

Visit site
I think we underestimate bedding choices on this point as well. Mine come in for the day , occasionally at night if weather vile. Stables have rubber mats and I have been using sort of shavings this year, the ones that are little chippy bits rather than flakes. I just swopped back to straw as the shaving things were working out really expensive and the beds didn’t look nice. The difference in the amount of time they spend lying down, since the swop, is stunning. Will regularly go to barn now and find them all asleep. They are obviously expressing a preference.