Sleep monitor for horses?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When I went up to the yard yesterday I found my oldie had cut his chin and scraped his head, he’d been in all day resting. I searched his stable and stuck tape over everything that looked remotely sharp thinking he’d been scratching on something. Then today one of the other liveries said she’d heard a big crash yesterday and went to check and he was on the floor looking a bit dazed (she forgot to mention it yesterday...). He’d been dozing with his head over the door. He’s done this once before about 18 months ago to my knowledge when I was on the yard to witness it. I put it down to lack of REM sleep as he was turned out in an individual paddock and maybe not lying down as not feeling safe. He’s now out with my second horse and I frequently find the younger one lying down with my oldie watching over. I was hoping this was being reciprocated during the night.

In summer they’re out at night and occasionally days too but usually come in during the day for a rest but I never see my oldie (25yrs) lie down (not even when he was a lot younger) but I know he does at night in his stable in the winter when the evidence is stuck to his rugs. He does roll and gallop about and still ridden about 4 times a week with no problems so I don’t think it’s physical.

Anyhow after that long-winded explanation I wondered if there was an inexpensive way of knowing if he ever lies down during the night in the fields? Or if anyone has any ideas of how to encourage him to lie down.

AFB

Visit site
A camera would probably be the easiest/cheapest option, although perhaps the most time consuming?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I've not had personal experience of using one, but there is something called and orcsana monitor.

Thanks I looked this up after you mentioned it and it might be suitable. It doesn’t have particularly good reviews but mainly because it’s not very good at distance monitoring which is not what I need it for.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
A camera would probably be the easiest/cheapest option, although perhaps the most time consuming?

I think a camera would be fine in the stable but probably not great in a field especially at night. I don’t have my own place so not so many choices for setting up something either.

VioletStripe

Visit site
If you're that interested I would go for a camera but honestly I don't think there's much you can do... other than provide them with a quiet environment in which they feel safe and with a nice deep bed, and good nutrition so they are in a relaxed/comfortable state. My horse is strangely shy/a total nosy parker and only ever lies down when it's dead quiet - if the radio is on on the yard he won't at all, and if he hears anyone he jumps straight back up.

be positive

Visit site
In horses that live out 24/7, I don't think they lay down at night.

I find mine tend to lie down in the early hours of the morning, they are often down around 6am, I am not up earlier very often, at the moment 1 is still down the others are either snoozing or eating, 2 come in during the day 1 will lie down, the other one is not doing so although was for the first month or so but is now obviously down overnight judging by her coat.

If they are being brought in very early with other people coming at first light, maybe he is not able to lie down for fear of being disturbed both in the field and stable, one of the problems with even a small yard is people coming at different times, with the routine being changed he may take longer to find out when it is safe to sleep than the others do.