Slight click when leg held out straight in front?

icklemadame

Visit site
One of those times when you really wish you'd paid more attention!! Help I'm panicking!! We had our 'back' guy out today as I've been worried in the last couple of weeks that my mare wasn't quite right, she wasn't unsound but i just kept feeling something every once in a while so I thought it best to check. She impaled herself on the top of a hurdle when she was little, right in her armpit, and her shoulder has therefore always had the potential to cause trouble, and I was worrying it was that. What I can gather from what he said (I was struggling to understand and now wish I had asked more) is that her old injury had created a lot of scar tissue and therefore there was limited movement, but nothing major, in that leg and shoulder. However the opposite side, although it had a great amount of movement (basically you can circle her foot when bent at the knee all the way round to in front of her opposite knee - so she looks like a ballerina) when you pull that leg out in front completely straight there is a slight click from her knee area. This can be stopped by holding/putting pressure under the knee. I think that the thinking is that possibly in compensating for her limited movement in the other leg she has put undue pressure over the years on this one. He also mentioned a tight or shorten tendon (this is where I wish I'd paid more attention). I am to do exercises with her to keep her supple, basically to exercise and stretch that tendon, similar to those he was doing. Otherwise he said she was fine to be ridden, give her a day or two's rest due to her being sore after him stretching her, but fine. Now I"m panicking because he mentioned tendons and I wish I'd asked more questions and I don't want to damage her, he didn't seem worried that she is hunted etc. but I now am!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated, sorry it all sounds so vague, I just wasn't expecting to be panicked by him, more likely to be told that I was imagining something wrong!!

Thank you for any help!!

Emily xx