slight cough...vet or not???

ajb

Visit site
Hiya
my friend has just two weeks ago bought new horse, Connie xTB, nice type 6 year old passed vetting with flying colours..since last week has had a slight cough on trotting and cantering, no snotty discharge, no temp and bright and eating up well. They are not on hay yet in the field and when he comes in (out 24/7 still) for a rest or lesson his net is soaked..would you call the vet yet or wait??

ajb

Visit site
nope only when hes trotting and sometimes when cantering..hes out 24/7 so not bedding related etc and hes not on hay unless as I say he comes in for a few hours and then its well soaked...

ru-fi-do

Visit site
If he has no temperature and breathing seems completely normal, not laboured or no heave line, no nasel discharge and he manages to work ok, i wouldn't be overly worried but would keep an eye on it you could try cough syrup? You can get a horsey one, my friends daughter has a pony that gets the odd cough and the syrup works really well for him i think lincoln make it.

siennamum

Visit site
Assuming he was vetted and hasn't COPD, then I would guess he has caught your yard virus.....
I find new horses commonly pick up odd bugs when arriving on a new yard and always assume there's something lingering in the existing herd which they've all acquired some immunity to.
Ensure there's no other sources of dust - from a menage for instance, apart from that I wouldn't worry too much & wouldn't do any proper work for a few days.

ajb

Visit site
thanks all for comments, my menage is outdoor (arghh) and rubber so nothing there, I think your right hes just been mixed in with the others so as hes so "well" in himself we have decided to do little but monitor. I have some Koffease somewhere that mine wouldnt touch, however this little lad is a piggy so think he will love it!!