Slight lameness on one leg?

NU ABO

Visit site
My boy is every so slightly lame on one leg in just trot.

When you put him in trot it's like a small twinge he gets every now and then. It started a few weeks back, so I gave him some rest, was advised by my riding instructor to put him on a 10-day course of bute to see if that eases it, which it did. It was like limping to begin with, now it's literally just a twinge.

Vet came over just before Christmas to see mum's horse (who was hopping lame, turned out to be a corn) and asked him about it, he said that I'm doing everything right and it's more than likely sore joints on that leg that's been affected by the weird weather (he could give him a proper checking over at the time). I was told to not put him on box-rest, to let him have his normal turnout to stretch his legs out, and to keep walking him out of the field on small hacks.

It has been improving to this twinge that's barely noticeable, but obviously I'm watching out for it so I notice it immediately, and it's definately only one one side, so just on the one leg.
I've changed his joint supplement now, he was on Super CodLivine's Joint Supplment, I've put him onto Cortaflex now. He's only just started with it so I'm hoping for more improvement.
He's also on Apple Cider Vinegar and Cod Liver Oil (both of which are supposed to help)

Just wondering if there's anymore advice anyone could give me?
I'm wondering if perhaps it would be worth having his back checked as well, just to be on the safe side?

be positive

Visit site
Has the farrier checked his feet recently, most lameness is in the foot and if the other horse had a corn it would be the first place to look. Is he shod? how old is he?

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I have a qualified equine osteopath whom I wouldn't be without, and she would have been the first call I made after the vague response from the vet! If there's a good one local to you I think it's worth a try. Hope you get it sorted out. :)

NU ABO

Visit site
thank you for the fast replies ^_^

bepositive, he was trimmed by the farrier a week before it all started, he's barefoot, so only gets trimmed every 6 weeks. He's 14 years old and we think he was used as a riding school horse before I bought him in April, which is why our minds went to joints in the first place. I could ask my farrier to come out and give him a check over, he is technically due for a re-trim in a couple of weeks anyway.

bikerchickone, I don't know any osteopaths local around here (I'm in the Cambridgeshire area) that come to mind. But our local animal feeds/tack store have a wall for equine business cards, I might have a look on the wall tomorrow to see if there's anyone with a card on there.

This whole thing has been so confusing. He's had no heat what-so-ever on any of his legs, no swelling or tenderness. He temperament hasn;t changed, he's eating and drinking habits haven't changed. He's still running around and playing and acting more like a 4 year old than the actual four year old. He absolutely loves going for his walks (and is starting to resent the fact that they are only walks, nothing else at the moment)

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
So you did the 10 day bute trial? What happened?

If you've tried the bute trial and your horse is still lame then get your vet to look. I would rather my came out to my horse at 1/10 lame (or a little twinge, whatever you want to call it) than wait until it's either much worse or possibly even irreversible. Even if it is starting to get better, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It seems like you've done a bute trial and the problem hasn't really gone away so i'd want the vet. How many bute did you give?

be positive

Visit site
If he is barefoot it is not so likely to be in the foot then so as you suspect his joints are feeling a bit stiff it would be worth getting a physio or similar to give him a check. Keep him doing gentle exercise so that he gets a chance to loosen up and if he does not improve get a proper vet check, joint supplements may help but he could need more than is available in over the counter remedies.

NU ABO

Visit site
chestnut cob, I gave him two sachets a day for 3 days, then 1 a day for 4 days (I mistyped earlier, I meant 10 sachets, rather than 10 days) and he did improve on it. I will get my vet to come out once I can (he went on holiday to Egypt over the Christmas period) to give him a proper check out. They might reccomend I put him on more bute. If that's the case I'd want a prescription written out (I work for the company that makes bute, so, with a prescription, I can get it at a much cheaper price that what the vets sell it at)

bepositive, yeah that's what I was thinking. Most of time problems with the feet happen with shoeing, and usually you get some for of heat or something with it (it's happened plenty of times with mum's horse). I am very tempted to get a physio or something like that to check him over as well.

I reckon I'll give him another week with minimal work and to allow the Cortaflex to start working, and if there's still no improvement I'll start getting other help in. Possibly physio first, then vet if physio can't find anything.