Slip rail/fencing query

michelledud

Visit site
Hi. I'm fitting a slip rail to my stable. What wood treatment would you suggest to keep it preserved or seasoned, and if also possible one which will ideally discourage any chewing (I don't know if the pony is a chewer)?
Thanks

Tnavas

Visit site
Creosote can be a problem if in a stable because it doesn't always dry right out so can get on clothing, rugs and if on skin can cause a chemical burn.

Have a look at no toxic wood preservers.

Does the horse chew the door? If not then no need to worry with anything, just make sure that you don't make the slip rail to snug as in damp weather the wood will swell.

Final thing to do would be to encase the wood in some chicken mesh - very fine type - one of the studs locally has all its rails covered so no-one can chew the fence rails.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have slip rails my stable creosoted in my stables I have no problems with it, also one pair is wood stained also no problems, they have been painted many years with no ill health to the horses.

As Tanvas said it can be a problem if it is not applied right or if the wood is the type they want to chew or does not soak the creosote in properly. My slip rails have been on between 18 - 20 years so doors open in the summer

michelledud

Visit site
Thanks for all responses. Slip rail is installed, pony arrived a fortnight ago and hasn't bitten or chewed it at all so I've decided I don't need to do anything to it, but if anything changes I do like the chicken-wire idea!!!
Thanks All xxx