Slipping Saddle

dwi

Visit site
Daisy's saddle seems to slip to the left when i ride, could this be me being unbalanced or do you think its the saddle? i know that I'm quite an uneven rider because I have a weak left leg.

She's losing loads of weight still because she was overweight when I got her so i don't want to buy a new saddle yet as she's still changing shape loads. I'm suspicious of saddle fitters that they are going to tell me that the saddle isn't fitting so that I'll buy a new one. She's only used for light hacking so it doesn't need to be some super saddle, just comfy for her.

What would you do?

monica123

Visit site
well it maybe its your weight distributuin..................ummm......just try and stay balanced and see if that works or it could be her shape and the saddle just slips round!

pagancluf

Visit site
You could invest in a numnah that has rubbery bits on either side of the withers, that seemed to work with mine last year, mine used to slip backwards. But you are right - I had a saddle check done last year and sed I can afford £500 for a good second hand one (she did new and 2nd hand) but ended up paying over £800 for one that "fitted perfectly and would look after my horses' back" - it has been brill but they make you feel like you are doing the horse an injustice!!

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
a wide stubben string girth can work very well. is the horse slightly unbalanced with the muscles, lots of different numnahs and pads around to help balance the saddle. stand on a box behind your horse with it standing square and look down at the shoulders to see if uneven, this may be the problem. lol

dwi

Visit site
She does have a thorogood girth with elastic, I hadn't thought of that. I'll borrow my friends girth and see if that makes a difference. Much cheaper than a new saddle.

She is a bit uneven in her muscles and constantly looks left when we are out on a hack but its a bit chicken and egg. I don't know if the saddle slips because she leans or if she leans because the saddle is pinching.

Having posted earlier I thought that I might try hacking without stirrups to see if I'm putting too much weight in one of them and pulling the saddle round.