Slippy road surfaces

kick_On

Visit site
What can you do if your local council puts down new road surface, and you and your friends can't use road to get to local bridlepath network???
I'm sure i've read about this situtation before

samp

Visit site
I don't know unfortunately they have done this to some of our bridleways (put down slippery stones). We have all had to have road nails fitted

fairhill

Visit site
Have you got a local bridleways group you can contact?

The BHS have a pdf questionnaire at the moment that you can fill in to give them information, which can be found here:

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Content/Ods-More.asp?id=2591&pg=Safety&spg=Information&area=5

There's a BHS leaflet on slippy roads that is on the same web page, that you could send to your council for future reference as well.

Unfortunately, even with the pressure from these groups there is realistically very little that the council will do. We have this problem a lot near us, and have to be very careful until the roads become less slippy (takes about 6 months, and you still can't trot on them).

kick_On

Visit site
thats a real pain they a half way through doing scheme and it's dangerous were do you stand if horse fall on road???
horse has currently got rail nails
Surely they have a care of duties???

fairhill

Visit site
You would think so!

Our bridleways group has been campaigning for years to stop the council resurfacing with the slippy tarmac, but without any success. There is a lady on our livery yard who works at the council, and she harasses the man in charge of the roads whenever she sees him telling him how dangerous it is... It all seems to come down to money though (as ever).

We frequently go on the pavement to avoid the slippiest areas, but it isn't always possible, or practical.

fairhill

Visit site
I've got no idea, but I would have thought so for H&S reasons.

I know for one resurfacing job near us, they forgot to add the grit! It's a new(ish) mix that they're using on our roads, I think it's from australia. The normal wear from car tyres is supposed to introduce grip - in our case it took a lot longer as they'd forgotten the essential ingredient! It's a bit rubbish, as a lot of the time horses are ridden nearer the kerb, so it never looses the slippiness.