sloe gin anyone?

_daisy_

Visit site
been and picked the sloes this morning as theyre ready
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
and theyre now in the freezer.
but my question is how many sloes do you need to put in? got lots of recipes but they dont tell you how many sloes you have to put in. It just says put them in a kilner jar then fill with Gin/sugar.

so all you sloe gin makers. How many sloes (weight?) do you put into each jar?

Thanks in advance

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers Pf - found the post - very interesting read. Like some of the recipes!!
off to go buy some more kilner jars and gin!! (maybe even some brandy as one member mentioned!

severnmiles

Visit site
Hey,

The best thing to use is a plastic milk bottle washed thoroughly!

1 full bottle of Brandy (cheaper is actually better...we've tried this!)
1lb of sloes (freeze them first and then defrost them so that they split)
8oz of Sugar!

Shake every day and try and leave it by the rayburn (or radiator if you don't have a rayburn).

Good luck!

charlottenicol

www.allt-na-craig.co.uk
We dont get sloes here but we did where I used to live, we did 1/3 bottle sloes pricked or slashed with a knife, 1/3 sugar and top up with gin and leave for as long as you can. When you finish the bottle the soaked sloes are wonderful in chocolate.

_daisy_

Visit site
ooh cheers SM. weve got 5 kilner jars ready for the sloes. Worked it out weve picked enough to half fill each 2l jar
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

looking at making some with brandy, vodka and of course gin - but trying 1 with plymouth & 1 with bombay sapphire.
Wonder what the checkout person will say when we buys loads and loads of spirits
tongue.gif

_daisy_

Visit site
unlucky you. i think ill leave mine in the freezer - its easier than slashing a carrier bag full of the little things.

Didnt think you could eat sloes as they have such a bitter taste?
BTW is the chocolate melted?

charlottenicol

www.allt-na-craig.co.uk
To be honest why waste good gin I used to buy the cheepest I could get, after all the soaking with sugar and sloes you cant tell the difference, have a large decent G&T and get the cheepie stuff for soaking.

severnmiles

Visit site
The cheaper the spirit the better flavour and smoother the end result....odd I know!

Here are some others you can make..same recipe, different fruit obviously!

Blackberry Brandy, Apricot Brandy, Raspberry Vodka(gorgeous!), Damson Vodka (very nice!!)!!

severnmiles

Visit site
Leave it 6 weeks(from when you first put the berries/sugar and spirit in), strain the raspberries and keep them to one side (make a crumble topping and its gorgeous!!! Only now I have Coeliacs I can't have any
frown.gif
).

Put it back into the bottle and if you can, leave it, the longer you leave it the smoother it is and the flavour does change. Mine is only a year old and it is absolutely gorgeous!! I'm going to use it in my hip flask this season so this year I'm going to make a few more bottles and leave one or two to the side for a few years.