Slow release energy for sharp horse...?

kirstie

Visit site
Hi All, my 17hh Trakehner is quite sharp and forwards, though has started to lack energy towards the end of sessions now I am asking a little more from her. She physically feels tired and like there is no petrol left in the tank. She is generally very forwards and in front of the leg.

At a recent comp she literally dropped me in her 2nd test and it did feel like she was genuinely tired. I am also noticing at home that she is tiring towards the end of the session more than she used to. I think this is through her genuinely working her socks off and needing a bit more fitness and oomph to see her through the harder more demanding collected work. (We compete in dressage).

She is currently out overnight on fairly good grazing for approx 12 hours, though sometimes a little more. She has 5lbs of hay in a net to pick at during the day. 1.5 stubbs scoop of Spillers high fibre cubes, 1 mug mirconised linseed, 1.5 stubbs scoop speedi beet and recommended dose of forage plus balancer split into 2 feeds. This is her summer ration, she has much more in the winter when no grass and on less turnout.

She is fairly sensitive to sugar, so I am not keen to add anything with molasses/ high starch in it. I have never had to feed for energy with her before as she always had enough of her own, I just think now that she is in harder work she needs a little extra something.

I have started to add alfa a molasses free back into her feeds as I have that but would be interested to hear any other suggestions.

Thank you!

NZJenny

Visit site
Endurance horses run on fat - which is a slow release energy. Most are fed oil, or there are some rice bran based feeds that have a really high oil content. Sorry, am in the wrong country to help out with brands.

When I had my Arabians in full on work, they would get up to a cup of soya oil per day.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I don't feed any prepared food now I feed all straights but when I did I had great results with Saracens relieve .

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi All, my 17hh Trakehner is quite sharp and forwards, though has started to lack energy towards the end of sessions now I am asking a little more from her. She physically feels tired and like there is no petrol left in the tank. She is generally very forwards and in front of the leg.

At a recent comp she literally dropped me in her 2nd test and it did feel like she was genuinely tired. I am also noticing at home that she is tiring towards the end of the session more than she used to. I think this is through her genuinely working her socks off and needing a bit more fitness and oomph to see her through the harder more demanding collected work. (We compete in dressage).

She is currently out overnight on fairly good grazing for approx 12 hours, though sometimes a little more. She has 5lbs of hay in a net to pick at during the day. 1.5 stubbs scoop of Spillers high fibre cubes, 1 mug mirconised linseed, 1.5 stubbs scoop speedi beet and recommended dose of forage plus balancer split into 2 feeds. This is her summer ration, she has much more in the winter when no grass and on less turnout.

She is fairly sensitive to sugar, so I am not keen to add anything with molasses/ high starch in it. I have never had to feed for energy with her before as she always had enough of her own, I just think now that she is in harder work she needs a little extra something.

I have started to add alfa a molasses free back into her feeds as I have that but would be interested to hear any other suggestions.

Thank you!

phase 3 which is now been renamed, I found it very good.

applecart14

Visit site
Spillers to a quick release feed mix for horses that require instant energy and they also do a cube for slow release energy (see the explanation below).

Suitable for horses and ponies with medium energy requirements competing in all disciplines.
Contains controlled levels of cereal starch blended with high digestible fibre and oil to provide slow releasing energy to help promote positive behaviour in competition horses.
Contains ideal protein sources to help maintain topline and support muscle tone.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oil. I have a sharp, spooky boy who can burn a lot of energy just through adrenalin before a competition and have found that giving him feeds very high in oil works great . . . he gets ERS Pellets (made by Dodson & Horrell and approved by my barefoot trimmer so no yucky starch and sugars), micronised linseed, an unmolassed chaff and (when he's competing and in the winter) Coolstance Copra (made from coconut - very high in fat/oil).

P

kirstie

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I've decided to go done the oil route and have bought some d&h alfa a with soya oil to see how we go with that. She loves her cubes and speedi beet, so she will hopefully eat it up! If not, I will try the ERS pellets and go from there.

Thank you!