Small breeder insurance

Dry Rot

Visit site
I need to get quotes for what I broadly think would be small holder's insurance. I am retired and now just breed 2 or 3 foals a year on 30 acres as a hobby. These are mostly sold as 4yo's so a total of 12 ponies including youngstock. I also have occasional unpaid help.

Basically, I suspect I need insurance for (a) public indemnity, (b) employer's liability (volunteers only, no paid staff), (c) farm buildings and contents, (d) farm house and contents, and (e) vehicle insurance. Have I forgotten anything? I don't have health insurance on the livestock as it would not be cost effective.

I have been reviewing my accounts and farm and vehicle insurance is costing me far too much. Obviously, to comply with the law, we need to insure against (a), (b), and (e) but I think I have (c) and (d) over insured. I have claimed on the house insurance (for a burst cold water tank) and again when my access road was damaged due flooding when a neighbour failed to maintain a ditch (a one off as I have re-routed my ditches) but I have never had a problem with farm buildings in over 40 years!

What do others do and how much do you pay? I suspect sometimes the risk is so remote as to be worth taking.

popsdosh

Visit site
Talkwith rural insurance they were set up just to cover your situation we have moved some of our NFU cover there as frankly they are better. http://www.ruralinsurance.co.uk/

Very helpful but having spoken to them you will then have to get cover through a broker

They halved our farm vehicle premiums last year!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Talkwith rural insurance they were set up just to cover your situation we have moved some of our NFU cover there as frankly they are better. http://www.ruralinsurance.co.uk/

Very helpful but having spoken to them you will then have to get cover through a broker

They halved our farm vehicle premiums last year!

Thanks. I've looked at the web site and it looks very interesting.